• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Which 24port gigabit switch

majnu

Distinguished Member
hi

I have managed to save a bit now so I am looking for a switch to start building my home network. I already have purchased a reel of cAT5e cable, and a 24port patch panel

over the past couple of months I think I understand how everything connects to a storage device (either NAS or WHS) I am currently deciding on another thread which is best out of the 2. But I have 2 questions please

1) I have a few client devices which are wireless, does this mean my NAS/WHS needs to have a wireless N card to stream wirelessly?

2) Out of the 2 switches which would you say is better (you can also advise on "better" ones since I want to get this right first time and money is tight)
a) D-Link DGS-1224T 24 port gigabit
b) NetGear GS724T 24-Port Gigabit

Thanks in advance.

Jeroen1000

I'm a bit sleepy still but let me take a look here...

1) nope. You connect your NAS-wired to the switch (through your patch panel obviously). And you also connect a wireless N accesspoint to that switch (so the access point IS wired to the switch, just to be clear on this - and again, this can work out via your patch panel).

2) Eum. Don't know; I use linksys by cisco toys. I'll take a look though to see whether something I can't miss, is missing.

BTW, you also need a special tool to crimp the CAT5e cable, a el-cheapo cable tester would be nice too and a plan to check the performance. Badly crimped cables will hamper performance badly.

Last edited:

t72bogie

I use the Netgear - the lifetime warranty does it for me ...been using them since they were badged Bay Networks :smashin:

Kristian

Do you really have 24 wired network devices in your home? I'm only asking because if you have less than 16 devices then you could get a 16 port switch instead and save some cash.

I've no idea on the two switches you've listed but Netgear seem to have a good reputation and great warranty.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
We use GS724Ts at work, they keep working.

majnu

Distinguished Member
I will definitely be using atleast 16 ports. The extra is for future proofing. I have a krone punch down tool (bought from Maplins ages ago with a cable tester they had on offer) and that is why I bought a patch pannel and wall plates so I don't need to spend ages crimping (which I don't mind) and to make it tidy.

The cables from the patch panel to the switch will be purchased (since a short length is needed I will buy the shortest which I think is half a metre)

I guess I am a sucker for this intelligent green technology which both switches have whereby the detect which ports are in use and adjust the power accordingly also they know the cable length and adjust the power too.

It looks like everyone likes the Netgear (I dont mind buying 16 or 24 port but on ebay the 24port ones are a little bit cheaper)

Kristian

I will definitely be using atleast 16 ports.

Fair Do's then :)

I guess I am a sucker for this intelligent green technology which both switches have whereby the detect which ports are in use and adjust the power accordingly also they know the cable length and adjust the power too.

One review I read on these 'green' switches wasn't exactly glowing about the power saving features i.e. real world use there wasn't any!

Good luck with it all.

Edit: Although Mark's post below says different...

Last edited:

t72bogie

ive read some research, that if every company in the US replaced their switches with the new green ones, all the power saved from current powered, but unused ports would be enough so they could turn off 2 nuclear power stations :eek:

majnu

Distinguished Member
ive read some research, that if every company in the US replaced their switches with the new green ones, all the power saved from current powered, but unused ports would be enough so they could turn off 2 nuclear power stations :eek:

Great Stuff I do like to know that I am doing my bit to reduce my carbon footprint. :thumbsup:

majnu

Distinguished Member
Looks like the Netgear is heading towards the finish line first. I just need to find out if switches (from the 2 I selected) differ in read/write performace.

It's kind of difficult finding any benchmarks for switches on the net. But I will probably get the Netgear one anyway.

Last edited:

majnu

Distinguished Member
Are the NetGear GS724T-300 and the GS724T the same?
I think that the Green one is the GS724T-300 but it seems odd that they would make ProSafe switches that has one without this Green feature. :confused:

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Looks like the Netgear is heading towards the finish line first. I just need to find out if switches (from the 2 I selected) differ in read/write performace.

...It's kind of difficult finding any benchmarks for switches on the net...

Really? Most of the "big boys" are usually pretty forthcoming about the switching rate of their equipment.

Try downloading the product datasheets and look for measures such as "bandwidth" (which is often simply a summation of the ingress/egress rate of all the ports,) "latency" or switching rate expressed in terms of "average packets per second" which is sometimes cited. (The latter is a little imprecise because ethernet frames are variable length.)

Be aware that bigger switches generate more heat and thus are often fan cooled. Accoustic noise in a SOHO could be a issue. "Desktop" switches are often so designated because they are fanless designs.

I've got a (really) old fan cooled hub, rescued from a skip, that I use at home for testing/labbing and racket it makes is such that I'd go mental if I had to live with it day in day out.

Cheers, M.

Last edited:

majnu

Distinguished Member

majnu

Distinguished Member

EnwezorN

I've bought the D-Link one myself. Like you majnu, definitely an element of future-proofing to the purchase of a 24-port gigabit switch. It's still in the box so haven't used it yet.
I think both products are probably much of a muchness - it's not like we're going to stress them. The D-link comes with a limited lifetime warranty too so it's the same as the Netgear in that respect.

I like the idea that it has a couple of ports you can use for fibre - dunno why but it's a nice bit of tech.

My wife thinks I'm balmy for getting excited about a box with 24 ports in it and a power button!

bara03

Standard Member
I went and got myself one of these:

HP ProCurve 1810G 24 Port

It also comes with a lifetime warranty like the Netgear and is quiet as it doesn't have a fan in it, not sure if the Netgear one does or not??

RustySpoons

I went and got myself one of these:

HP ProCurve 1810G 24 Port

It also comes with a lifetime warranty like the Netgear and is quiet as it doesn't have a fan in it, not sure if the Netgear one does or not??

I was going to suggest HP or Netgear, though I am biased towards HP as they pay my wages :D

willsy2

The Netgear 24 port switches generally have a fan in, and it's quite noisy. I'd spent ages getting my NAS unit really quiet only to fit the 24 port switch and find i was back to square one. That's why i went for a 16 port Netgear and am selling the 24 port unit.

majnu

Distinguished Member
The Netgear 24 port switches generally have a fan in, and it's quite noisy. I'd spent ages getting my NAS unit really quiet only to fit the 24 port switch and find i was back to square one. That's why i went for a 16 port Netgear and am selling the 24 port unit.

does not the 16port have a fan too?

i'll look into that HP one. :smashin: I hope it's green

t72bogie

I think you will find it depends on model range and intended use, rather than brand too much

a 24 port gig switch chipset generates the same amount of heat, no matter who makes it

Netgear, HP, Cisco, dont matter who makes it, theres still xxx watts of heat to get rid of when its running

so look for "desktop" mount products i.e. something designed for a small business or prosumer type use ....if you buy rack mount business class products in metal chassis, designed to for server room use, its likely its going to have a fan in it ...in fact if I bought one for such use that didnt have a fan, id be disappointed .....

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom