• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which 23" panel to go with my iMac?

ascender

Established Member
I've decided to add another screen to my iMac and so far have only really looked at the 23" ACD. Looking around, it looks expensive in comparison to stuff from Dell for example, but is this because the panel itself is a much better quality one or am I simply paying for the Apple branding?

I'm not going to be using this for any sort of professional graphics work, just as a way to extend my main desktop working area. The sort of stuff that it gets used for will be web development as well as just watching movies I guess.

So, I was just wondering what people's recommendations would be?

Thanks.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
I bought a samsung 22" which has a freeview tuner and HDMI input for other things. So I can watch sky+ on it as well as use it with my macbook.

if you're looking in the wider world of PC monitors, then 22" or 24" are your options - not many 23" around. 22" will give you 1680x1050 resolution, 24" will give you 1920x1200. Check your imac will drive that high a resolution on two screens, as that may restrict your choice.

how big is your imac?

sonygeek84

Standard Member
what colour is your iMac? If its the standard white then you may have trouble finding one to match unless you go for an Apple cinema display, like you said it is expensive at around £530. There arent that many 23inch displays on the market right now, the best one looks like the KDL-23B4050 Bravia from Sony which is about 200 quid cheaper than the ACD. Granted its not your standard TFT monitor (seeing as its a tv) but it does have an HDMI port so you should be able to get video to it ok.

ascender

Established Member
I've got a 24" Alu iMac, so was looking for something with a similar-ish size of display to go with it. On one hand the ACD is expensive, but they seem to hold their value well and I guess I couldn't go far wrong with it in the scheme of things.

But then it seems silly to spend more money than I have to. The thing is that with monitors and TVs, I get the feeling I could spend months trying to pick "the best" one and get so many differing views about the same products as its so subjective.

Decisions, descisions....

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom