• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Which 20GB Player ?

Hi i am looking to buy my first hard drive mp3 player, and first off i would like to say i am not interested in any ipod what so ever.

I have Narrowed it down to.

Toshiba Gigabeat 20GB

Philips HDD6320 30GB

Vusys I-DJ 670 20GB

Sony Walkman 20GB

which would you recommend ? i would just buy the toshiba but have been slightly worried about people saying it difficult to put music onto it and also apart from ebay i can't seem to find anyone selling them for a decent price ?

and the sony also has software problems apparently ? and also does'nt use wma files which i have alot of.

looking to spend £150 max

eyeballKid

Sony's big appeal is playing music - especially as it's about the only player to implement gapless playback, a necessity if you want to listen to albums. But for that to function flawlessly you need to be ripping CDs to the proprietary ATRAC format. And you do have to deal with the annoying, basic (but still functioning) software to feed it. Consider what's really important to you...

soch

Standard Member
i had a 4GB gmini archos player. it's interface is the best (compared to ipods & sony). It even displayed the next song in sequence. Set to random play, you could go backward in the random list. Also you could maintain a file structure like Windows/PC.

But the harddisk was flaky. Sometime it would freeze. & sometimes it woldn't play some mp3 songs. So returned it & got sony nw hd5 (8 months ago) for $100 more.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom