1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 17" w/s? Sony or Philips?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by groovedigger, Jan 5, 2004.

1. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm torn.

I've seen both the Philips 17PF9445 and the Sony KLV17HR2S and can't decide between them!

We're looking for good sound quality as this will be the main set in the lounge (other than the PJ), but otherwise the picture quality is key.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

You may be surprised to see me comparing the 2, but as the Philips is as cheap as £610 from AJ Electronics and the Sony is as cheap as £737.95 from PRC Direct

2. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a pj in the lounge then I assume you have a surround sound system... why not use that and go for the best picture quality? Just seems strange for an av fan to be buying a small tv on sound quality...

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS I also thought about getting a 17" lcd for the livingroom but have decided to wait for the 22" screens to come down to about £700 - probably about a year...

4. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the PJ is strictly cinema my friend... unfortunately the missus likes the odd soap, and i'm buggered if i'm gonna watch a six foot Barry get pushed over a cliff on it!

I'm sure you are right about the prices, but I find both these models appealing enough to jump on the band wagon now, and am surprised that there aren't more people out there interested at this level... heck - even my father in law has bought a 15" for his kitchen set!

Thanks for the response though

5. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I learnt at work today that Sony are having faults with their LCD portables and that there are not going to be any more available for at least 3 months.

Not sure what the actual problem is but I thought I'd make you aware of this.

6. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info... anything else on this would be appreciated.

I too have heard that even Sony's CRT's - which used to be the dogs wotnots - are now more faulty than they've ever been, so perhaps a wide berth is a good idea.

FYI I'm monitoring an Ebay auction for an IIYAMA LCD TFT TV PROLITE C480T 19" 4:3 screen which at the moment has the best reviews in town at this level... anyone have anything on this particular screenin general, and it's sonic capabilities specifically?

Thx in advance

7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,526
    Groovedigger...

I am in the same situation as you...Got the PJ with 8ft screen but want something for daytime viewing. I find the 22" too big for a 'second' telly....The challenge I have set myself so to keep everything userfriendly, is to ensure that the LCD can accept 576p at least and preferably 720p. This way I can keep all cabling the same as the project and just split out the component output from all my sources....
    Not certain whether this is applicable for you, but since you use a PJ you probably have a component connection to it....If so I would really advice you to take care when going down that road...
    PAL PS LCD panels are starting to appear, the Hyundai had not a bad review (17WS) but I think it is a bit too ugly...More should appear soon.....

8. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    22"too Big? wow I find 32 to small, I think that 15" units are just way tiny really for sitting right close up to, as you do you pc, as this is what they are meant for.

the philips is a little bit to pricy and the Sony..........well

D

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I'd agree with that, i also have a projector and have just sold my 32inch crt, as i wanted more space, and have just brought a 22inch lcd for tv only as dvds etc will be watched on the projector. I dont watch a great deal of tv and for the last few nights been using a 15inch portable and it is just far too small. Was interested in the philips 17inch due to price and inputs but again the size imo was just too off putting especially when in the front room.

10. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting views guys, but I agree with dejongj that since we will site the lcd on the coffee table just a few feet from our seating position in the lounge that 17" will be enough for us... let's face facts TV ain't all it's cracked up to be, and there ain't nothing like a big screen movie!

dejongj - I have a scart to component converter/booster which set me back £80 that I was intending to use for the input into the LCD. Will this facilitate the kind of quality you are talking about, and which of the sets I have mentioned have the best signal quality input?

Also I believe that the IYAMA set has an onboard Farjouda processor, like my PJ, so I guess this could still be a good option...

*Don't y'all go bidding on it now!! ;)

11. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    grovedigger if its only a few feet from your seeting position then you should be fine, its just that our tv is about 10ft from the seeting position so was a pain to see and get used to, especially after the 32inch crt.

12. darren7

darren7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for a 17" not a 15" then. for the money a lot of people like THIS Unit

Darren

13. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you have one Darren? I've read that the sound isn't up to much, and I must say that after a 32" CRT picture I have my doubts that I will be satisfied by even the best LCD picture which is why I am thinking of the biggest brand names, and potentially extra cost.

The short list is still:

Sony KLV17HR1 or 2 -
    http://www.whatvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=2820
    £740 - http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Sony_KLV_17HR2

Philips 17PF9945 -
    haven't read a review yet, but seen it looking good, and you can get it as cheap as £612 here http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPC-Philips_17PF9945

Iiyama Prolite C480T (technically not widescreen, but big enough to make widescreen broadcasts look good) -
    http://www.whatvideotv.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3220
    £915 - http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xFS?FN=&KW=Iiyama+Prolite+C480T&FD=0

14. Rajibear

Rajibear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    grrovedigger

I have the 17HR2 and as I have reported in earlier posts, i have had a problem with this set and am still unable to work out what it is. On anything except the max backlight setting on the RGB input there is noticeable picture wobble on text and on screen menus from all sources. This is my second set and I have reported the problem to Sony and they have told this is not a known problem.

Another thing i find it extremely hard to watch this LCD in the dark, blacks seem grey and the picture looses detail. Put the light back on and it is much better. I am not sure if this is the same with all LCD panels, but I can't wait until Sony's new range come out in March.

Just thought I'd let you know

Rajibear

15. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,526
    I understand fully where you are comming from. When you already have an 8ft screen why have another big box in your living room. We just want something for the occasional daytime viewing or quickly watch the news without switching on the project, lowering the screen etc.
    If it was my only set I agree 17 is way too small....19 inch widescreen would be perfect, but 22 inch is getting just that bit too big for our patterns.

The thing I was talking about is as follows. The sources I have are Sky+, Progressive Scan DVD and Progressive Scan Xbox. What I want to do for ease of use that all sources can be used on both screens. As such I don't want to change the output from the DVD and Xbox for use on the smalller LCD panel.
    In reality I don't think we'll watch much DVD on it. Yet my nephews and nieces would want to watch some when they are over. And I want to occusional day-time Xbox game without having to changeover the cables or resetting the menu options....
    Sky is interlaced component for now which is okish....

I hope this makes it a bit clearer what I was talking about...The Relisys, which was provided in the link, does not allow progressive scan on the inputs which causes a problem in the setup....Unless there are downscalers that convert progressive scan to an interlaced picture....

16. Getgaff

Getgaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Damnit!! I'm monitoring the very same thing for my bedroom :rolleyes: .

FYI it originally sold for £685 just before Xmas but I missed it the first time around. Interestingly it's disappeared from Ebay's completed items so I'm guessing it's been relisted. And the £35 p&p is very expensive. If it ends up going for silly money, I'll have to re-consider my choices, which are;

Relisys RTL1720 @ Richer Sounds for £429
    Philips 17PF9945 @ Ebay, currently £540
    Sony KLV-17HR1 @ Sony Centres for £699

17. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    so I'll get it first and then promise to sell it on to you when I decide to upgrade - deal?! ;)

may the best man win...

18. tartan_guru

tartan_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've had the philips 17PF9945 for a couple of months now, replacing the JVC 28" widescreen CRT in our living room. We soon learnt to live with the smaller screen size as the picture is so much more detailed and life like.

The philips has the advantage of having the Faroudja DCCi de-interlacing that I believe groovedigger was looking for and has two scarts which means that auto widescreen switching is supported.

I posted a short review of the philips when I first bought it:-
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103232

19. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I wish to follow up my comments regarding Sony's LCD problems.

I have found out that there isn't actually a fault with the screens but there are severe problems getting components for the screens so there will be very little stock available for the next few months.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Both Sony and Philips' LCD TVs are very good and worthwhile taking a look at.

20. ramtec

ramtec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the C480T on ebay too. I was a bit put off with the sellers profile and didn't want to be scamed. He appeared genuine enough though, just e-mailed me back too late with the answers to my questions. I think it went for £745ish in the end, and he would let you collect. The best price I've seen this for is £865.00 including delivery. Has anyone seen this cheaper? Has anyone got one and if so is it any good? I was thinking about the LG 17" for £500ish but was put off by the lack of DVI.

21. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Groovedigger, I've recently got the Phillips and use it in my bedroom with a Sky Eye. The one thing that has impressed me the most about this unit is the quality of sound reproduction, so if thats one of your key buying criteria i'd go for the Phillips.

22. Getgaff

Getgaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I went for the Philips 17PF9945 in the end, from Ebay in fact. £580 inc p&p was very reasonable and it should arrive this Thursday. The seller seems genuine and we have been conversing via email, so I'm not too concerned about being ripped off - only time will tell...

The Iiyama indeed went for silly money. A broken ankle prevents me from collecting it and I would have used Paypal..the total price would have been £828, nearly £250 more than the Philips. Not worth it IMHO for a 4:3 screen with 1 scart that's only going in the bedroom.

Thanks to those who've posted comments about the Philips (esp. tartan_guru for his objective review :) ). They've all helped towards making the final desision in what is quite frankly a minefield of confusion.

23. groovedigger

groovedigger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks all. Very considered posts. Who got the Iiyama in the end coz it wasn't me?!

I'm going for the Philips too - so thanks steve 111 and tartan_guru - I too was impressed by the surround sound from such a slim box and your review tartan_guru has sealed my fate.

However Comet appear to have stopped doing it at £610 from their website! It doesn't really surprise me as they have it in-store for £700!! Looks like TV and Vide Direct might have my money. Anyone know if they're any good? http://www.tvandvideodirect.com/product.php?xProd=158&dealtime

Cheers all

24. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.Bought one of these recently.... Sharp LC-22SV2E LCD TV
    LCD Television Of The Year 2003 by what tv mag.

Excellent set for casual veiwing,and a bargin to at £899

HERE

May be of intrest to someone.

:)

25. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sharp looks good except for the resolution. Fine for tv but lacking when using it as a computer monitor.

I'd also prefer the speakers to be removable as I wouldn't use them.

26. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

You can't use the Sharp 22 inch as a PC monitor anyway.

27. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    This JVC will be available in a few weeks.