1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which 17" LCD for a kitchen?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by CraigH, Jul 5, 2005.

1. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to purchase a cheapish 17" LCD for my kitchen and was wondering if any of you guys could recommend any. So far I've been looking at the Samsung SM730?? models and the Relisys RLT1730 as both can be had around the £300 mark.

I intend to have it wall mounted and would like it to be able to swivel 180 degrees for viewing. I've seen various mounts that can do this but would anyone recommend a particular one and where I would be best to buy it?

Thanks,
    Craig

2. alfiejts

alfiejts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can't comment on the Samsung, I'm afraid, but I've just bought an RLT1730 for my kitchen from Asda for just £229 and its an absolute gem.

Just watching the British grand prix now on it, on a bright sunny day and it can cope with the fast movement and the brightness of the day absolutely excellently.

Only issue I have is that I can't make it work with my Sky remote control, although I hear that there is a code released now that should work with the latest Sky remotes manufactured this year.....

3. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks alfiejts, I was tempted by the Relisys (especially if I could have got it at that price!) but ended up opting for the Samsung 730MW from Komplett for £305. It's had a few decent reviews and comes with a built in FM tuner so that should be handy too.

I haven't ordered a wall bracket yet as I want to see what the fixings are like before I order but did like the look of this one - http://www.vivanco-direct.com/acatalog/Stands_and_Brackets.html Model WMS TFT 203 S
    Seems good for £45.

4. RajP

RajP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,988
    Excellent topic. I am going to be buying 4 17" screens for various parts of the house and was looking at getting the DMTECH DML-4117W as a part of a deal thru Comet where they retail at £329 each. As I am buying various appliances for the house, I was going to go and make a deal with the local Comet's manager and see what price they can come up with for the whole package.

How does the Relisys or Samsung compare to this one.

5. CraigH

CraigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first flat screen purchase so I'm no expert in this area!

The Samsung arrived yesterday and I managed to spend a little time setting it up last night. It is a good looking screen - black and silver!

I think the picture quality can totally depend on the signal fed to it. So far I've only tried an analogue terrestrial TV signal. Pictures are OK but certainly not brilliant. It does mention in the manual that this should be expected due to the image being stretched to the higher resolution. I need to try a digital TV signal and a DVD player.

I hope eventually to feed my Sky+ box to it via the new version of the Kat5 system (http://www.kat5.tv) when it becomes available.

The major differences I see in the spec's in the Samsung are: higher resolution (1280x1024) and an FM tuner.

6. screenman

screenman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watford Tescos has the DMTECH 4117WD with intergrated DVD with the latest firmware - uses progressive scan on the DVD too for a humble and impressive £349.

The 26" widescreen model is £599. With DVD.
    THe 20" square-ish non widescreen model is £379. With DVD.

The DVD players may be made region free easily too...check these forums!

Not sure what price the TV only 17" model is.

The reason I know all this is that I set one up for someone who bought it from there!! Dont forget your clubcard!!

Good luck mate!

7. screenman

screenman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot....

...Of course...price match with comet too! or even John Lewis (with freebie 5 year parts & labour warranty)....but suspect they have the older firmware models....fewer screen modes/features/options etc....