Which 160GB freeview PVR?

TB303

Hi People,
I'm looking to buy a 160GB freeview PVR and can't decide what to get.

I currently have the Humax T-8000 which was good while it worked but had to be replaced 3 times in 2 years - so extended warranty is very important in this area.

I was looking at the Thomson DTI6300 - but was put of by all the horrible reviews, I know the Humax 9200 is considered best but also expensive, I found it at £186 with 5 year warranty at Richer sounds (which I would consider a releable company).

Any other ideas?

I have found these, all at Argos so need to add £39 for 3 year extended warranty.

Digihome DTR160 - £89
Hitachi HDR161 - £119
TVonics DTR-FP1600 - £139

Please share yoru thouhgts,
thanks!

Yak

I got the Bush model from Argos just over a month ago and so far I'm extremely pleased. Its been completely reliable and the picture quality is excellent - much, much better than the digihome we had before

frankmsl

I have 2 Panasonic models. One for over 6 years now and another for 2.5 years and both have not given me any problems. Only issue has been that on the older one I have had to at one stage use the Hard disc 'format' function which wipes all content, but after that the unit has functioned well.

Have you thought about the Archos TV+ with 250GB drive? It is a great PVR, comes with a full keyboard remote and also surfs the web etc. It is $349 in the USA and about 300 Euro here. Don't know the price in the UK. It is small enough to hide in a cupboard as well so you don't see it.

I have an Archos 504 with DVR station and it has just as good picture quality as my PVR and I can take it with me on the road. I assume the picture quality of the TV+ will be exactly teh same

mike7

Distinguished Member
Hi People,
I'm looking to buy a 160GB freeview PVR and can't decide what to get.

I currently have the Humax T-8000 which was good while it worked but had to be replaced 3 times in 2 years - so extended warranty is very important in this area.

I was looking at the Thomson DTI6300 - but was put of by all the horrible reviews, I know the Humax 9200 is considered best but also expensive, I found it at £186 with 5 year warranty at Richer sounds (which I would consider a releable company).

Any other ideas?

I have found these, all at Argos so need to add £39 for 3 year extended warranty.

Digihome DTR160 - £89
Hitachi HDR161 - £119
TVonics DTR-FP1600 - £139

Please share yoru thouhgts,
thanks!

Many of the lower priced units are all manufactured by the same firm, Vestel, in Turkey. Nothing wrong with them, but they are all technically very similar, if not the same. The layout of the front and back panels is a bit of a giveaway. Of course prices vary which is makes it a bit confusing.

From my experience the Sharp versions have proved very reliable. An elderly friend has used on for nearly 2 years and never experienced a moment of difficulty.

It is interesting to note your comment about one of the higher priced models. They are frequently recommended on the Forum, but the owners seem to experience multiple difficulties and are forever looking for new downloads. I have one of the single channel Humax's like yours and have never had a problem with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom