Which 15inch driver?

• Thread starter Deleted member 598831
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 598831

Good evening folks

Its a choice of diy or 2 psa s1500, and I am trying to work out the potential of diy.

I would be looking at the BK 1000w class d plate amp and a box size of max 44cm high (allowing 1cm for feet) 43cm wide, 45cm deep.....

Would be 2 subs, so which drivers would people recommend, or stick with the PSA?

I would be limiting to 15hz output

Steve

Why not 18????? If you can fit an 18 into the maximum space i have quoted for box size then carry on!

I was looking for ae av15h but cant see them on the site?

Steve

Why not 18????? If you can fit an 18 into the maximum space i have quoted for box size then carry on!
Sorry, did not see the maximum box size :)

The AV15 is not on the web store, probably you would have to contact them by email to check how to order it.

Ha ha ha thought you were going to pilot the new subwoofer design of 18 in a 15 box. I would have been the first customer; -)

Steve

The AV15 is not on the web store, probably you would have to contact them by email to check how to order it.
they were working to clear the initial order first so any order now would be for the next batch. You might get lucky and it arrive quickly or, unfortunately more commonly, you will be waiting quite a while. If you're prepared to wait then they are top drivers. If not, you could consider a pair of HST12 from SI instead. These will need a fair bit of power but I think they are pretty brutal (and also surely great comedy value from watching a pair of such tiny woofers pound away).

I have 2 12's just now, and from my car and pa days i dont like seeing drivers doing excessive movement. Hence the 15 route, possibly same output with less driver movement so in theory a cleaner sound, plus more headroom. Correct me if im wrong...

I'm using the bk 1000 amp and waiting on my av15h, they had problems with the cones and now there having problems with the spiders from China. I don't think there taking anymore orders but I would expect up to a 6 month wait with ae......
Btw Nick said he would make me a hst15 but he doesn't advertise them.

I have 2 12's just now, and from my car and pa days i dont like seeing drivers doing excessive movement. Hence the 15 route, possibly same output with less driver movement so in theory a cleaner sound, plus more headroom. Correct me if im wrong...
the HST12 is an unusual driver that's for sure. It is spec'ed as having 38mm xmax (that's 1 way not peak to peak), has a pretty enormous motor, is ~11" deep, weighs a ton and takes a load of power.

Put another way, it has the same Vd as a 15" driver that has ~19mm xmax.

Obviously a pair of HST15s will give you even more but they look pretty mean for a stealth subwoofer.

IMG_1798-300x300.jpg

With that much displacement a 12 would need a 15 box lol. Im limited to the bk plate at 1000 of try and source a few speakerpower amps.

ah sorry, I didn't realise you had to use the plate amp. You'd certainly need something beefier to feed it :) 15" is an awkward size, not so many drivers available to the DIYer.

Hi Matt, I just dont have the space for a separate power amp even though i could lay my hands on a few if needed. That 12 looks a monster. I might see if i can source the ae driver, and I suppose 6 months is not that long to wait......

I also looked at this driver, matt is using the 18's, there can be build problems to though......
iST Ltd.

Mmm. Wonder if my box sizes can do 70litres. Really need to do a dummy guide on win isd ar ask a friend lol

Steven at this point i'd honestly reconsider the PSA S1500's as to run a couple of the 12' drivers matt suggested would need the equivalent of twice the power than the bk plate amp can deliver and then some.

Probably a couple of these would be up to the job
SP1-4000 4000W/2, 2400W/4, 1300W/8 7 lbs But there not cheap..................Is there no way what so ever that you could use a separate pro amp placed in another room and just wired through.

Hi Steve, those amps are pretty decent and costly but with that driver that Matt posted...wowzer. im sure some air would be shifted. As for a pro amp in another room the other half would probably go nuts. She does not bother about front room, but the house is pretty small. I agree and your right, the best move is probably the s1500. I would just have it in my mind about what if..... with regards to ae av15h and the 1000w bk amp. I think i will ponder my options and get new year out the way and get down to demo the s1500's.
Steve

Hi Steve, those amps are pretty decent and costly but with that driver that Matt posted...wowzer. im sure some air would be shifted. As for a pro amp in another room the other half would probably go nuts. She does not bother about front room, but the house is pretty small. I agree and your right, the best move is probably the s1500. I would just have it in my mind about what if..... with regards to ae av15h and the 1000w bk amp. I think i will ponder my options and get new year out the way and get down to demo the s1500's.
Steve

Well you should be more than impressed with x2 s1500's , and x2 3000i's would demolish your relationship completely:rotfl:;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom