which 128bit console?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by G a f f e r, Apr 6, 2004.

?
  1. Macintosh / Windows PC

30 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. DreamCast

19 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. PlayStation 2

26 vote(s)
    39.4%
  4. XBox

41 vote(s)
    62.1%
  5. GameCube

25 vote(s)
    37.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Firstly This poll is not an excuse to bang on and on about why you have the best one with posts like "but I already have the best console, the *******" etc etc. Please stick to the poll. I've allowed multiple ticks for those of you with more than one console (you lucky so and so's :devil: )

Thought I'd keep it easy and simple by including the top four most powerful standalones and PC/MAC for comparison (control).

2. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I fail to understand how a PC could possibly be a control? :confused:

3. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    control as in they were the prototype games machines that the standalone ones evolved from (besides, thought it would make an interesting comparison as many people prefer their more powerful desktops and they are also a viable alternative to the four consoles mentioned).
    i haven't included every gaming device out there because I wanted to keep it simple and had to draw the line somewhere :)

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I think anyone with an ounce of sense would prefer a high-end pc to any games console.

5. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why?

There is far less variety of games on a high end pc.

6. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    bad controls, small screen, bad sound, install issues, expensive, less games, less variety of games, my PC is crap...

Any more reasons wanted?

7. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Richard,

I think you said it above "my PC is crap". If you experience a 'good' PC I am sure you would change your mind. As for bad control, my logitech wireless gamepad is awesome, and you can't beat a keyboard and mouse for FPS control. Small screen heh.... I would hardly call a 6ft projected image small. Bad sound? Running through my home cinema as detailed in my sig, games sound excellent. I agree that they are expensive, but I am a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for' and a fast PC can do far more than play games. (I understand this may not be relevant in the gaming forum, but it is a fact) Not so sure about less games, there are more than enough to keep me going, same with variety. I won't go onto the possibilities with emulation....... thousands of calssic games.:D

Cheers

Rob

P.S I have owned all thre of the current consoles at least twice, and will probably get a cube again for the new resi, and a xbox for that ninja game. I am no fanboy.... trust me.

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    It seems a bit fixed as it seems fairly obvious that the vast majority of people who post here will own a PC :rolleyes:

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Most people here own all of the above :p

Go look at the how many consoles do you own threads :)

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I meant that they'll own a PC to be able to access the internet.

My PC's quite an old legacy machine (P133) but I still play games on it. Can I count that? :)

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    To be honest i'm not sure whether it's right to include the PC in with the consoles. As stated everyone who comes on here will have a PC, but me for example only own a PS2 and a DC. Some people will only own an X-Box or a GC. SO while the PC should get a vote from everyone the other consoles will only get certain votes from certain people.

12. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +632
    i get the feeling people don't like the idea of the pc addition.
    It's NOT the main reason for the poll. It's only for comparison because I know plenty of people who won't buy ANY console because they'r happy gaming with their PC's. You can completely IGNORE that part of the poll if you want (cover it up with a post it note or something). It really doesn't matter, you can concentrate on only comparing the four consoles with each other because you're allowed to post multiple ticks depending on what you have (eg PS2 - by also ticking MAC for gamin, it's no loss to the overall result, ie it doesn't prevent you ticking the console box....getit?)
    Having said that If the Moderator wants to remove that option it'll probably make everyone happier I suppose :rolleyes:

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    erm PC's are good for FPS and strategy games, but thats it. saying that I wouldnt want to play an FPS on a console

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    Not at all CrispyXUK...nowadays PC's are great for all types of game - RPG, Adventure, Action, Sports, Simulation as well as Strategy and FPS games.

They now have great joypads (infact the overall best selection of input devices on any platform IMO), great spots titles like PES3, the EA range (Madden, Ice Hockey, Tiger Woods etc) and Links golf, many good driving games from arcade (NFSU, Midnight Run2) to simulation (GP4, EA F1 games such as F1 challenge). the best range of FPS games like Call of Duty, UT2004, Farcry, Halo, superb strategy games both rts and turn based and on top of that a great range of Aircraft simulations.

I'd say the only thing that consoles have over them are there simplicity in terms of stick in a game and play, and the fact that they are easily connected to the TV for multiplayer lounge gaming with your mates.

In response to SJallen's post I would say it is infact the opposite with the PC having the greater variety of games.

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    In reply to Richard Plumb ....

Bad controls - Good controls such as decent keyboards, mice, joypads, Force Feedback flight yolks, Force Feedback steering wheels etc are all available now with some very good console beating Joypads (from logitech) out there.

Small Screen - you can connect them up to a Plasma to great effect. PC's graphics cards also allow SVideo out in a lot of cases which still provides a reasonable picture. On top of that I find my 21" monitor to be a decent size considering the fact that I sit close to it at my desk.

Bad Sound - My 5.1 set up through Soundblaster live is pretty cheap and gives great sound. You can get better through Audigy 2 cards and 7.1 audio systems. Now if you think they are bad sound then I would really love to hear what you term as good sound.

Install Issues - ok yes you do have to install the game but if you have a reasonable system you shouldn't get any problems with this. All of my recent games have installed great 1st time. On the other hand the fact that you do install games to a hard disk means that patching the games is easy - where as if they are on DVD it's difficult to patch the game.

Expensive - can be but on the plus side the hardware is not subsidised by the games so the games are generally £5 to £10 cheaper so after 30 games you will have spent an extra £200-£300 pounds with a console. Also once you have your computer you can upgrade which is obviously cheaper than buying a new machine each time. Therefore you find that each upgrade will probably only be £300 - £500 every couple of years. When consoles 1st come out they tend to be somewhere around this level anyway.

Less Games - there are millions of games out for the PC, far more than any console. New releases that come out on consoles generally come out on the PC as well, you also get lots of dedicated PC games that come out as well, C+C Generals, Call of Duty, Farcry, Age of Wonders, Flight Sim 2004, Along with the majority of MMORPG's, decent RPG's and loads of strategy games.

Less Variety - on consoles yes! The PC has the largest variety of games - flight sims, strategy games, MMORPG's are few and far between on consoles and many of them lack the depth and quality of the PC games in these genres.

My PC is crap - well buy a better one then! My PC makes the current generation of consoles look silly! It's only mid range now as well!

16. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to variety, I'll have to disagree.

In every genre other than FPS/FlightSim, the defining game is on a console. For me, that's the issue.

Arcade driving? Burnout/ProjectGotham
    Sim driving? GT
    Platformers? Mario (are there ANY decent platformers on the PC)
    RPG? I'd have to say Final Fantasy, though I concede that if you like a more western style of RPG you'll probably have just as much fun on a PC.

I could go on. I'd also disagree with the comment that console games come out on PC. They do, but not especially often, and the delay is invariably huge. This is with anything good - MGS2, SH2, etc. If you want to play Quidditch World Cup you'll be ok then.

I like my PC, I really do, I'm just bored of FPSs.

We'll have to agree to disagree :)

Are you sure upgrading is cheaper btw? A graphics upgrade costs more than a Gamecube and is a lot more frequent than a console generation (~5 years).

17. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Sim Driving - Grand Prix Legends/Grand Prix 4, this is a true driving sim, I am sorry no console game comes close to the simulation of car driving maybe F355 racing on DC.

Arcade Driving - Console holds the crown.

RPG - Baldurs Gate, Morrowind, Diablo, any RPG you want to emulate. You can also get a lot of Japanese RPGs on the PC. But it is true that consoles are for East RPG and PCs for West.

Online - EQ, Counter-Strike, FFXI, this is where the PC really shines, mods, MMORPGs, MMOGs.

Sports - Any game on a console is just about on the PC and they come out at exactly the same time these days.

Platform - Console holds the crown.

Adventure - PC wins easily, Thief, Deus Ex, Grim Fandango.

Strategy - Tough one again like RPG this depends on whether you like Japanese style tactics games or Western style RTS. I love both so would say it was a draw.

I would say that I couldn't live without my PC or consoles both have seperate spheres of gaming. The thing I most love about my PC is the amount of mods and player generated content I can download lengthening many of my games.

Console is more pick up and play and is great for playing after drinking :)

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    Yes i'd agree with most of that Sinzer.

One thing to consider through is that when a came is multi platform (console & PC) the PC version generally has better graphics and often more options.

Platform games and arcade racers are the 2 genre's i'd say where consoles win out.

I'd say any type of simulation game (be it car racing, aircraft, train, people/resource management sim i.e. the sims or sim city) is generally better on the PC. Gran Turismo is definately a contender and is one of my all time fave games but it has still been simplified and given more pick up and play appeal for console gamers. Games like GP4 take everything to the nth degree in terms of realism and functions to tinker with.

RPG's - this does depend on the type you like as there are some great Jap RPG's on the PS2. Where as on PC there are the Baldours gate, neverwinter nights games which have proved so popular in the west.

MMORPG's - ok so the PS2 has FFXI and Everquest online adventures but the PC had tons of these - with some really good ones like Dark age of camelot, FFXI and Anarchy Online and the upcoming World of Warcraft, EQ2 and Dark and light to name but a few.

Strategy - PC has a huge variety of strategy games - From the likes of Europa Universialis, Hearts of Iron and Victoria - empire under the sun (world scale strategy with resource management), Age of Wonders, HOMM (turn based strategy's/Tactics games), Axis & Alies, Diplomacy (board game style) and C&C, Warcraft, Starcraft etc (RTS) - Consoles mainly have Tactics/turn based affairs like Dynasty Tactics, Gladius or RTS games such as Age of Empires 2.

Sports - i'd say fairly even here in terms of quantity, however PC versions usually have better graphics and can have more options.

I'd still say that the PC is King if I had to choose, but the consoles do provide that quick fix gaming and they are still best for having your mates round for a few games of something.

19. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,117
    Ohhh forgot about beat-em-ups, obviously a console cannot be beaten for this :)

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,370
    Yeah I must admit consoles are far better than PC's for beat 'em ups.

For me though beat 'em ups should always be played on a 6 button arcade cabinet. Sat down with joypads, or even an arcade stick in front of the TV just doesn't quite do it.

Also when it comes to shootem ups the console is king...well the Dreamcast is anyway..Ikaruga, Psyvariar 2, Border Down etc.