Which 1080p TV for solely HTPC usage?

airmark

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I plan to upgrade my 37" 720p LCD TV to a 46" 1080p one, that can either be a plasma or LCD. It seems that the Panasonic TH46PZ85 and the Samsung LE46A786 are the strongest contenders so far, however most of the owners/reviewers use mainly PS3 or standalone BluRay player input or Digital HDTV and thusthe results might be very different from my experience.
I plan to use the TV mostly for movie viewing (BluRay from PC's BD drive, DVDs, and movie files from the hard drive) as well as some web surfing (I'm typing this post from the HTPC for example). So I want good performance as a PC monitor and also all the bells and whistles to apply to movies played with PC software and sent to the screen via either VGA or HDMI connection from the PC.
A little more specific:
1) Is the SD performance of any of these screens relevant AT ALL given that the screens is always going to receve 1080p signal from the PC? Let's say I watch a DVD for example. Does it matter how the TV handles upscaling or it all depends to the PC software anyway? I would think the latter.
2) Does the LED technology on the Samsung work well with PC input? Or do have to deactivate it otherwise I don't get good PC monitor performance. Because if I have to have it deactivated there's no point in going for this TV versus the older (and cheaper) non-LED models.
Any other thoughts/comments are more than welcome. Thanks in advance!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001ET6RQM/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A37EAWMTY48SBW

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
LCD over plasma for HTPC any day. I was forever getting cursors, icons, HUDs and buttons etched into the screen for hours with plasma. Although it's said permanent burn-in is a thing of the past I wouldn't trust it.

I do prefer plasma for movies and TV but for PC use and any gaming it has to be LCD (although I've gone DLP now)

PC graphic cards are pretty good at scaling, deinterlacing and processing, as you'll be outputting the TV's native resolution you shouldn't worry about TV scaling.

Last edited:
LCD over plasma for HTPC any day. I was forever getting cursors, icons, HUDs and buttons etched into the screen for hours with plasma. Although it's said permanent burn-in is a thing of the past I wouldn't trust it.

I do prefer plasma for movies and TV but for PC use and any gaming it has to be LCD (although I've gone DLP now)

PC graphic cards are pretty good at scaling, deinterlacing and processing, as you'll be outputting the TV's native resolution you shouldn't worry about TV scaling.

Thanks. That's what I thought. Any thoughts regarding the LED technology? Will it work properly with PC input?

I have no idea about LED mate, if it's replacing the backlight I can't see it being any issue at all, Samsungs are particularly good for HTPC though as they have a usable VGA socket (not restricted) as well as HDMIs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom