which 100hz widescreen tv to buy for under £500

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dwarves88, Aug 22, 2004.

1. dwarves88

dwarves88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i've been looking recently at 100hz tv's to replace my old tv on forums and websites but have found most opinions contradicting themselves as to which brand/model of tv to buy. Also most reviews that i've found have been 2-3years old so i dont know how much the technology has changed since then

I've been looking mostly at LG, JVC and Phillips models as they are nearer my budget of £500 but i am uncertain as to which one is best overall and which one is the most futureproof as i intend to keep this tv for at least 3-5 years. I've heard pixel plus by phillips gives the best display but i've not seen them for £500.

I have decided to go for a 100hz tv as i will be using my tv-out on my pc to play videos and using my dvd drive to watch films as i dont like the dvd quality on my ps2 but i found that a lot of flickering come off my old tv which i think caused it to stop working. I'm not too fussy about what it can do aslong as it has these included.

- 100hz scan
    - s-video for pc to plug into
    - 2 x scart for my ps2 and video
    - at least 28" widescreen with zoom 16:9 and 4:3 features
    - Headphones
    - Teletext

Freeview would be nice if it was included in it but the cheapest i've seen them for is £600

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
    Aaron

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    JVC AV28X4 gets my vote. great conectivity and excellent picture!

3. Isamu Chan

Isamu Chan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah ... Mr. Dragon, how is 100Hz on the JVC? Can it be turned off? Also: do you know of any reviews on-line of this set?

I'm considering this TV along with a few others and would be grateful for any help. Thanks!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    not sure a mate of mine bought one and wasnt particularly happy until he turned off the noise reduction etc and now loves it! he has a JVC THS3 basic Surround sound kit, for DVD PS2 and freeview connected and thinks its excellent!

5. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    If you can live without true 100Hz, I'd recommend the JVC 28P37/32P37 TV. It has JVC's D.I.S.T. processing, which runs at a 75hz refresh rate (don't know the technical ins and outs, but a quick look at professional reviews section of this forum gives a good balanced review with such info of the 32" set (WhatVideoTV)).

Benefits over X4 series are:

(i) DIST
    (ii) Pal & NTSC Prog Scan (I think the X4s can only do NTSC prog scan)

I went through a similar bout of headscratching a few weeks ago, and settled on the P37 and am very happy with it. Excellent pic from DVDs. Got it for £499 delivered from Allders.com, with a free 5 year guarantee.

6. Isamu Chan

Isamu Chan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Barzo, how is the picture on that JVC via analogue and Freeview/digital-Satellite/Cable?

The review for the 32" was complaining some on that point. Otherwise a very interesting option. Thanks for the info.

Not wanting to hi-jack this post completely :) ... maybe Dwarves88 might want to consider the Panasonic TX28PM11. Opinions are scarce on the internet, but several people on this forum have praised this, and its 28" 50Hz, Freeview and 32" brothers. One of these is on my maybe list ... unless anyone knows better :confused: :)

7. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474