Which 1:1 Pixel Mapping 32-40" LCD Has The Best Black Levels?

typing00

Standard Member
Hi all

Bought the Crown 32" LCD TV from Woolies a month ago on a whim, reasonable picture given the price but am considering upgrading due to 2 issues:

1) inability to do 1:1 pixel mapping beyond 1280x768

2) poor black levels (watching some dark scenes on Crouching Tiger yesterday was really painful, also for people who are familiar with the THX Optimiser menu, I could never get it to display the black shadow behind the THX logo).

From my research, Panny TX500 and Loewe range probably has the best black levels, but I am not sure about capabilities of 1:1 mapping.

Samsung LE32/40R51B and LG 32LX2R probably has the best native 1:1 compatability at 1360/1368 x 768, but how are the black levels?

Any suggestions of any other models? Budget probably circa £2000.

Many thanks in advance.

M

mkoehler

I don't think you will get any LCD with true full screen pixel mapping. The best black levels with a truly great picture delivers the Philips PF9830. Loewe and Sharp are also coming strong.

Moogrose

Standard Member
I have the 26LX2R, i find the black levels i pictures to be really good... in fact, if i watch in 4:3, the filter on the picture does a really good job as the back are black in pictures while the side bars do come off as a dark grey... 1:1 pixel mapping is fully supported for 1360x768... looks bloody good too.

daxie

Standard Member
Sorry to say Moogrose, but the black levels (or better: detail in black) of the Lg does not come to the heals of the other contenders I'm afraid (and yes, I've seen them all with the same image...)

M

mister meaner

black levels are generally not that great with LCD I have found. True some perform better, but rarely are they as good as CRT or plasma screens for the same money.

Incidentally, I take it money is no object given that your considering Leowe. I think I read that Sharp make their panels, but again, large HD Sharp screens can also be very expensive.

typing00

Standard Member
andrewfee said:
While the Samsung supports 1360/1368x768 for 1:1 mapping, it disables the automatic backlight adjustment for the VGA input, so black levels are poor when connected to a PC. (and the brightness sensor could be better)
That rules out the Samsung many thanks. I always suspected that quality comes at a price.

daxie said:
The best?

Philips 32PF9830
Loewe Xelos/Spheros 32/37"
mkoehler said:
I don't think you will get any LCD with true full screen pixel mapping. The best black levels with a truly great picture delivers the Philips PF9830. Loewe and Sharp are also coming strong.
Thanks will look into the Phillips. I take it that the Philips PF9830 is capable of 1:1 pixel mapping at 1360/1368 x 768?

mister meaner said:
black levels are generally not that great with LCD I have found. True some perform better, but rarely are they as good as CRT or plasma screens for the same money.

Incidentally, I take it money is no object given that your considering Leowe. I think I read that Sharp make their panels, but again, large HD Sharp screens can also be very expensive.
I know that black levels can never be as good as CRT or plasma screens, but I really am limited to a LCD TV due to my HTPC.

The Loewe Concept LE32 retails at £1800 which is just within my budget.

F

freekbear

typing00 said:
Thanks will look into the Phillips. I take it that the Philips PF9830 is capable of 1:1 pixel mapping at 1360/1368 x 768?
Not when I looked at it. Best you could get was 1280x768, and not sure if it's 1:1. Philips doesn't have the best reputation for 1:1.

Trending threads

Top Bottom