1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which £3.5k models should I be looking at?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rimibar, Dec 13, 2004.

1. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

After much grovelling I have finally go the go ahead to buy a new projector, and I would very much like your opinion as to which models I should road test...

I currently have a ceiling mounted Optoma H50, and would be great if I could use the same mount. I really like the look of the Optoma H77, but also don't want to ignore the possibility of Infocus PJ's which I understand are very very good.

I don't suffer from rainbows :clap: so DLP is great for me. Also FYI will use with either a Arcam DV79 or Denon 3910.

Other than Infocus and Optoma - are there any out there that need a demo? I don't want to spend over £3,500.

Look forward to reading your suggestions.

Thanks!

2. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Gandley? Any suggestions as I know you have similar kit to me....

3. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Domino 20H is within your price bracket.

Long lamp life and warranty.
    Optical lens shift.
    HDMI input.

Jeff :rtfm:

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Optoma H77, sim2 as above. I think the H77 will be the one though, 1280 x 720 DLP @ £3495 is just toooo tempting :devil: .

And it's gotta be the Arcam over the Denon :D

5. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Good suggestions from Liam and Jeff, I am sure you couldn't go wrong with either.

What would be interesting is a head to head with both models, forgetting the obvious resolution differences and just judging them both on pure and simple picture quality.

Anybody out there tried such a demo?

Foghorn

6. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Given what people who have seen an HS-50 in operation are saying about it, wouldn't the Sony be able to challenge these models for about half the price?!!!!!

Just a thought

7. foghorn

foghorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Maj74,

If that turned out to be the case it would certainly save me a packet on my projector upgrade. However I have kind of got used to the picture quality of dlp projectors.

Foghorn

8. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well, given wat's been said about the Sony HS-50 I think ANYONE upgrading their machine at the moment would be foolish not to at least have a look at it. No LCD vertical banding (apparently) NO DLP Rainbows, Mega contrast, almost silent, 1280 x 720 resolution for £1700????

'Nuff said!

9. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Don't rule out the new batch of LCD's though. I mean Sony and Panasonic have beat the 'chickenwire' problem that has plagued LCD's for years, The new Sony has a contrast ratio of 6000:1 that outdoes even DLP's well above it's price range and the Panny/Sanyo Z3 competes very well with the likes of the Infocus's and Optomas with 2000:1 contrast ratios. DLPs have their rainbow problems and LCD's have their Verticle Banding problems. But not all do and not everyone is bothered by them so audition both LCD and DLP before spending your hard earned cash.
    How would you feel spending £3500 on a DLP only to then see a Sony HS50 in action for £1500 which blows your investment out of the water!
    Both DLPs ( Infocus SP4805, Optoma H57 and Mitsubishi 9000) and LCDs ( Sanyo Z3, Panasonic AE700 and Sony HS50) are better specified than last years models costing twice their price back then, so consider them before spending £3.5k
    With all that change, you can buy a nice electric screen, a DVI/HDMI equipped DVD player, quality cables and some superbit DVDs to watch on them. If it were my money, I would definately consider the HS50 before spending £3.5k on a DLP.
    You can take this as unbiased advice as I personally own an Infocus SP4805 DLP projector!!!

10. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I have gone for the Infocus 7200 [£2500] its got pretty good scaling i believe so i don't have to spend more cash on a proggressive scan dvd player. If its good i can hang on for blue ray later. Hopefully with its high res panel i might get the benefit of high def pictures in the future as well.

11. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all of that guys! My issue with LCD PJs (or at least those that I have seen) is that seem a little harsh and lack depth of picture.

The Sony sounds interesting (6000:1!!! :eek:), although why do not of the mags rave about it?

With the Sim2, I understand they need a fairly long throw distance, I have about 12 feet - so perhaps this is out?

Like the suggestion of having change to spare - as I will have either an Arcam or 3910 in the next few weeks, it would be good to spend the change on a decent iScan scaler.

Any further suggestions?

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Having just got one, I've got to say the Optoma H77. :D

13. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The mags WILL rave about it, but they tend to take a while to notice when things appear... Projector reviews especially seem to appear sometimes quite a while after the model has been released...

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    There's an awards edition just out from one of the big mags and it gives Optomas H56 a big :smashin: Of course the H56 has been discontinued and out of stock for weeks!!! By summer we'll read something about the H77...

Meanwhile I'll just have to make do with the one that's winging it's way from Optoma HQ to my ready and willing bachelor pad!! LOTR trilogy anyone?

15. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Which mag might that be Liam?

16. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Can't remember, one of the Highbury house ones. Maybe essential home cinema, might not even be out yet. Just remember getting a call and the sales rep was trying to sell us advertising space and his selling point was that the H56 was a winner and that we are big Optoma resellers so we should get involved quick before the good space is gone! I laughed in his face for a bit, then a bit more, then told him.

17. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    If you get an Infocus with it's Faroudja video de-interlacer/scaler, you really won't need to splash out on an Iscan scaler. The Faroudja in the newest Infocus projectors is their latest model and Faroudja have been perfecting video scalers for many, many years. Infact, one review I read said that you would have to spend way in excess of £600 to buy a DVD player with better video processing capabilities !!
    I agree that LCD projectors as a general rule look more artificial and 'digitized' than DLP, but I think you are refering to older models. The new ones are much, much better and The Sony has received many excellent online reviews, the mags take a month or so to catch up due to printing delays. Expect some glowing HS50 reviews in next month's magazines

18. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I went for the BenQ PE8700 for £2400. It's not as quiet as the Optoma but it does have the same Mustang HD2+ chip in it. I just couldn't justify an extra grand for a quieter fan. Apparantly the scaling isn't great although it does have a DVI input so if your player can spit out 1280x720 you can avoid all that. I use a HTPC and therefore didn't want to waste money on good scaling either...

The HS50 has been compared to the BenQ and is said to have higher contrast but dimmer picture - I guess we'll establish the consensus as far as it's consdered when someone actually gets one :)

Happy hunting, its not every day you get to spend that much on a new toy,

Simon

19. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Looks great on an H77. :laugh:

20. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Not entirely true. The software running over the chipset is the important factor, plus the latest IF X2/4805 uses Texas Instruments 2000 chip rather than Faroudja now!! Note the review then went on to say a 600 quid player (with maybe 200 quid tops assigned to video processing) would better the internal deinterlacing - in which case a £1000-£2000 video processor is gonna do a lot better!!

21. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does it need to be pitch black when viewing to get the best? Ambient light is a b@gger when using the H50.....

22. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Actually the H77 can handle a small amount, being a bit brighter than some, however like ALL front projectors any ambient light kills black level so while a brighter projector helps the image remain visible nothing keeps the blacks good once you start adding ambient light.

23. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I must correct you on that point. Unlike the X1/4800, the X2 and the 4805 are totally different projectors. The X2 was designed as a computer/presentation projector and the 4805 designed purely as a home cinema projector and as such both have totally different specs and internals. The Infocus 4805 does indeed have the very latest Faroudja DCDi+ de-interlacer inside and I qoute from their own literature:
    "Then, with the latest version of the Academy® award winning enhanced Faroudja DCDi™+,
    InFocus has perfected the optimal deinterlacing process for perfect output
    and smooth images, regardless of the source."

I have read many reviews stating that it is exactly the same Faroudja as found in their Screenplay 7205, a £5000 projector.
    I'm sure there are dedicated scalers out their that will outperform the Faroudja, but you are looking at spending nearly as much as the projector itself to achieve marginal gains over what is already a superb video processor. As they say, If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! :thumbsup:

24. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I stand corrected! :blush:

Still, it's not just about the chip, it's about how it's used and the architecture used around it (DACS, PSU etc). A lumagen, cinemateq or iscan or whatever will still show marked improvement to any of the infocus models. Whether the benefit is worth the outlay is down to the client...

25. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just been offered a Marantz VP12S3 - second hand.

Never bought second hand though, and a bit concerned about this. What do you think? Worth the risk?

26. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    How much?? The S3 is a fantastic machine so if you can see before buying and the price is right go for it mate. Some real bargains to be hand second hand

27. rimibar

rimibar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is the Marantz noticeably better than a 77?

28. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Best person to ask is Messiah - he's owned both (in a looooooong list of projectors!!!)

29. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I'm just making this decision myself, HS50 vs H77, Liam can bring at least one of these for demo, but before I decide I'd love to be able to demo both side by side especially with and without a scaler

Looks like I'll have to be patient as there aren't many HS50s out there and it would be a real bummer if I could have saved some money by getting the Sony

We need more stock!!!!

30. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    The infocus 7205 HD2+ projector is an absolute beauty. Amazing picture quality.