1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which £1000 projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sheks, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

My Sony HS1 projector is starting to show it's age, having the odd problem with it shutting down on it's own occassionally now, have changed the filter, seems to solve the problem for a bit then starts doing it again. It might go a week with out a problem, then shut itself down 3 or 4 times in an evening. I also figure that projector technology has come a long way in the 3.5 years I have had the Sony.

I am looking for a widescreen HD compatible LCD projector (I sometimes see rainbows on DLP).

Reading through some threads here I see the following units are popular that seem to fit within my £1000 budget:

Hitachi TX100
    Panasonic AE700
    Sanyo Z3

Is their anything else I should consider? Would all of the above be compatible (HDCP compliant?) with fourth coming HD from Sky. Warranty is also important to me - I see their is a 3 year warranty on a Z3 from Ivojo.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Sheks

2. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just ordered the Sanyo Z3. I had the same budget as you, and decided that the Sanyo would suit me best;

- 3 year manufacturers warranty, as long as you buy from the UK. I've just ordered from Shootandshow.co.uk (Nexnix). The Panny and Hitachi only have 1 year, which just isn't enough.
    - The Z3 is the quietest of the three main £1000 LCDs.
    - Easier dust blob maintenance.
    - 2 x component inputs.

All three are HDCP compliant, and the AE700U even has a handy RGB scart input, but I still settled for the Z3.

I've been using an old Hitachi C225 LCD (800 x 600, 4:3, 200:1 contrast!) which was designed for PowerPoint, and judging by the spec difference the Z3 should blow me away. It arrives tomorrow!

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    When the TX was 3 or 4 hundred quid cheaper than the others, it was a significant aspect. Now I'd probably go with Neil c's analysis...

...PJ :)

4. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the responses.

neil c, let me know what your initial thoughts are on the Z3 when it arrives (if you can tear yourself away from it :D )

Thanks
    Sheks

5. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Will do Sheks!

I'm going to be trying it with the following;

- Sky (probably composite at first, until I can sort out an RGB connection!)
    - Xbox in Hi-Def via component
    - Samsung DVD HD850 upscaler via component and HDMI
    - A few WMHD video files via DSUB from my PC (I'm also tempted to get a DVI to HDMI lead)

6. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    neil c

Looking forward to your comments. It's tough having a grand burning a hole in my pocket :smashin: , hope I can wait.

Will a regular UK Xbox play hi-def, or is your's modded?

Thanks

Sheks

7. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    HD wasn't standardised in the UK at the time of the Xbox launch, so it was removed. But theres a soft-mod available using Splinter Cell or Mechassault save games that enables Hi-Def on a PAL Xbox. Its really easy to do, and is completely reversible.

The soft-mod allows you to switch the Xbox output to NTSC (it still plays PAL games) and with an Xbox HD cable you also get 480p, 720p and 1080i (although the last 2 are only available on a few games). PAL and NTSC region games have the same resolutions included, so its just a matter of switching the Xbox's output mode to NTSC.

Check this link if you're interested in how to do it;

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28489&page=1&pp=30

The Z3 should be on its way now. I think I'll start with the worst source (composite Sky) and work up to the best, i.e. WMVHD.

I'll see if I can get some pictures up, but I'm not a great photographer and I've not uploaded pics before.

8. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  9. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3