1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which £1000 projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BenedictGilman, Apr 26, 2005.

1. BenedictGilman

BenedictGilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was trying to work out which projector I should get for a budget of around £1000. The options I've turned up in that kind of price range are:

Sanyo PLV Z3

Themescene H30 Advanced

Infocus Screenplay 4805

Sahara S3615

I must admit I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to projectors though and would welcome any advice on which of these would be good. I am intending to use it for Sky+ and DVD playback only with DVI connections, and am planning on combining it with a Yamaha AX-757SE Amp / receiver, a Denon DVD 2910 and an Acoustic Energy EVO 5.1 surround sound speaker package if any of that is relevant. The room it will be used in is 31' by 14'7" but I'd imagine the projection would be across the short part of the room, possibly at a slight angle.

If anyone can recommend any cheaper options that wouldn't compromise quality too much that would be appreciated as well :)

2. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. cinemagary

cinemagary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I would have to recommend the Infocus 4805, I have had mine since December 2004 and in my opinion it is the best at the price. :)
    It produces excellent pictures for a fraction of the price of other projectors, and it is now on sale at £999. :thumbsup:

4. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Your choices seem fine, but you need to demo them. They are mostly DLP, and if you are susceptible to the rainbow effect then you may have to look at LCD. I have just upgraded to the pannie PTAE700e which at £1140 on line is slightly above your budget, but remember it is future proof. ie high def and plenty of connections and if you check out the my home cinema forum here you can see my setup and a few screen shots. have fun.

5. BenedictGilman

BenedictGilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: What is the rainbow effect and how would I know whether I'm susceptible to it?

6. BenedictGilman

BenedictGilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sure does get overwhelmingly complicated, projectors throw in so many things I don't really understand.

Definitely quite tempted by the Themescene H30a anyway, the place I was thinking of getting the amp / speakers / DVD player from offers it as well so I can demo the whole lot all at once. They do the Infocus 4805 as well so I can compare the two. :)

7. paulmc

paulmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deffo demo them incase you are effected by rainbows, they are what they say, move your eyes quickly from side to side while watching the screen and you may see rainbows. So folks do some dont.

I can't demo as I live to far from a good shop so just going by the fact that I dont see raindbow on the works projector

do a search on here there is loads about rainbows, but be prepared to spend hours reading how some do and some don't, then the DLP / LCD debate comes up :D

good luck :thumbsup:

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    New one on me!

H30a, 4805, TX100, Z3, Tosh MT200 (bit less), AE700 (bit more)

Loads of choice, can't go wrong with any of them really.

And all are now very competitively priced, the TX was quite a few hundred quid cheaper than most when I was looking.

...PJ

9. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    You won't go wrong with any of these. Have you considered the total cost of the set up? Cables, brackets and a screen could reasonably cost £200 - £300, hence your projector budget may be limited to £700, MT200 territory.

10. andylorenz

andylorenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    £1,000 is the perfect price-point for finding that sticking your head up your own arse is an easier thing to accomplish than making a decision :suicide:

Here's some prices for you (all in - delivered) from my own investigations:

Optoma H30A - £995 @ disccounttv.co.uk
    Panasonic AE700 - £1,105 @ komplett.co.uk
    Sanyo PLV Z3 - £1,056 @ shootandshow.co.uk
    Hitachi PJTX100 - £964 @ just-av.co.uk

And here is what I think personally is a key aspect of your buying decision (on the basis you'll love all of these projectors, but you'll hate it if something were to go wrong with your hard-earned grand's worth of kit) :-

Optoma H30A - 3 yrs collect and return warranty
    Panasonic AE700 - 1 yr return to base warranty
    Sanyo PLV Z3 - 3 yrs return to base warranty
    Hitachi PJTX100 - 1 yr return to base warranty

On this basis I discounted both the Panny and Hitachi (and ended up with an Epson lol, but that's another thread ..)

zippycat is right about other costs though, screen and decent cabling don't come for peanuts.

11. krlock2

krlock2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    panny ae700 can almost be had for 1000 ... since it is native HDTV compatible, it seems like the budget projector of choice to me.... i have the ae300 for almost two years now and it still stuns me and those who see it..... i personally will wait until september and see if there are new releases, or even further until hd dvd or blu ray or hdtv is practically available before i upgrade...

12. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Are the Sanyo and Hitachi not native HDTV compatible?...PJ

13. BenedictGilman

BenedictGilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've only picked things that will be HD compatible . . . I meant to anyway, I may have got confused.

Can someone give me advice on which is more important out of Contrast Ratio and Brightness? I was looking at the Thermoscene H30a and it's got a very good (3000:1) contrast ratio but then only a low (850 lumens) brightness . . . I would want something bright enough that I could watch it in daytime with the curtains open and get a reasonable picture, although obviously nothing compared to the picture quality I'd get by closing my curtains.

14. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Contrast is the main thing to consider. Lumens only really become a deciding factor when a projector is to be used in illuminated areas such as company boardrooms. Generally, you should not be looking for projectors in excess of 1000 Lumens as these will cause eye fatigue. You will not get a reasonable picture during daylight with the curtains open. You must remember projectors do not project black, the darkest level on the screen will be the white of the screen illuminated by the ambient light.

15. BenedictGilman

BenedictGilman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay . . . how dark would it have to be before a projector would begin to be useful?

16. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    The advertised contrast and lumens can normaly be taken with a pinch of salt. Lumens are typically 40% lower, as is the contrast ratio (if you're lucky).

The NEC HT1000 is rated at 3000:1 but is only 1300+:1 out of the box, and 1250+:1 when calibrated to D65. Even with a filter and recalibration it can only achieve around 2000:1 which is much higher than most pjs genuinly achieve.

I measured the Optoma H77 at 510 lumens and 2300:1, though it is rated at 900 and 3500:1, so it makes it difficult to judge in some respects unless you reduce all pj advertised figures by 40% and hope that's a consistent judgement. I wouldn't like to say how far off LCDs are as I've only measured DLPs, but I doubt they will be any better.

Gary.

17. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    It doesn't have to be pitch. Eg one small light in the corner of a room would probably be OK, but ideally it does need to be as dark as you can get it...PJ

18. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Being High definition compatible is not the same as being a High Definition projector. The 4805 and H30a are both HD compatible, but they scale a HD signal down to their much lower resolution of 480 lines compared to High Definition's lowest resolution of 720 lines and as high as 1080 lines. The Panasonic AE700 has a native resolution of 720 lines so it will display 720p ( progressive) High Definition unscaled and will produce the sharper, more detailed image than the 4805 and H30a.
    The 4805 has recently been voted the best £1000 projector on the market even beating the H30a due mainly to the top of the line Faroudja video processor inside which produces a more filmic image than the H30a. But to be perfectly honest, if this is your first dip into the wonderful world of projectors, which ever of the ones you mentioned , you go for, you will be blown away !!!!

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where/by who?

:smoke:

20. Sprout Crumble

Sprout Crumble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pretty much everything is voted the best by someone, somewhere at some time.

Unless a product gets an across the board recommendation from loads of sources I usually don't give awards a second thought

21. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    In the latest edition of Home Cinema magazine .

22. Ryan AUS AV TEC

Ryan AUS AV TEC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  23. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    It's an early 3 chip machine and I'd hate to think about costs to repair it if it ever went wrong (if it's repairable at all). The biggest advantage is that it won't have a colour wheel and therefore no 'rainbow effect'. SOme early 3 chippers did some form of pulse modulation with teh RGB DMDs and some people said they saw a similar effect to rainbows, but I would think generaly speaking it should be free of them.

It has quite a low contrast ratio advertised as 400:1 but might actualy be less depending on the lamp(s) it uses. It is very bright though - too bright for normal size screens but fine for something like a 16ft wide image. It might be pretty noisy too - "less than 50dbs" is the noise rating which is pretty loud, especialy if you're seated close by. You may want to build a hush box for it or better still, put it into a room behind the viewing room and project through a hole in the wall (like a real cinema).

It weighs 95lbs, so is more like a CRT and may present some problems if you want to ceiling mount it. Looking at the throw information, you need to know which lens option it's using - there is a choice of four, but looking at the .pdf lens info and what's actually attached to the projector, I'd guess it's a TL-4Z which gives a throw ratio of 4 to 7 times screen width - so if you wanted to use a 10ft wide screen, you'd need the projector 40ft away (though it can go back as far as 84ft). How big is your house?

As for quality, I would think most newish single chip home theater based DLPs will beat it on all counts except brightness (and maybe resolution if you compare it to a 854 x 480 pj). I'm not sure how good the interlacing or scaling capabilities are though. It seems to use NECs own Advanced Accublend which is also featured in some of their own domestic DLP products, but I've no idea how this compares to something like Faroudja DCDi.

It also has the added advantage of being Triple Stackable, so if two more should come along, you can mount them one on top of each other and project an image on the Moon. Should impress the neighbours if nothing else. :)

If I've missed anything, hopefully someone will point it out. Great price though - modern 3 chippers start from £20,000.

Gary.