Whether to Upgrade Yamaha RX-V685 Firmware?

rsbrux

Novice Member
My Yamaha RX-V685 keeps bugging me to update its firmware. The Setup UI of the receiver gives my current version as 1.72 and offers to update it to 1.96. When I first connected the Yamaha MusicCast app to the receiver, it offered me a much higher version (>2.0, but I don‘t remember the version). MusicCast still offers to update the receiver firmware, but no longer reveals which version it wants to install. I am reluctant to update after reading several threads about problems with Deezer and with Net Radio following firmware updates. What experience does anyone here have with the firmware version 1.96?
Other than the failure to synchronize the NET Radio favorites in MusicCast with those displayed directly on the receiver, MusicCast seems to do what I need with the current receiver firmware version (1.72). Beyond getting rid of the persistent nagging to update, why should I update my receiver firmware?
I have searched in vain for a release history for Yamaha's receiver firmware, but all I find is a brief description of the v1.96 release. It only mentions Sirius radio, which doesn't interest me. but I have read that firmware updates have meanwhile changed the management of NET Radio as well.
MusicCast displayed a version history when it first offered me a firmware update. Can anyone point me to one?
Would it be of any use, i.e. is there any way to update to firmware versions other than the latest?

Llammissar

Novice Member
I'm looking for this information too because I want to know if they actually added anything useful. I've found... a bit, but I don't know if it's comprehensive.

1.42 Sept 20, 2018
Original?
1.47 Oct 30, 2018
• support for Bluetooth output, MusicCast Surround fixes
1.65 May 28, 2019
• Airplay2, Spotify Free, eARC, Qobuz
-- WARNING: users are reporting issues with this update, update only if you need these features
This is the version my unit shipped with. Probably hotfixes for the 1.65 issues?
1.72 December 10, 2019
• Amazon Music, enhanced Alexa Voice Control
• Improves security measures on 3PDA(Amazon Alexa Skill) functionality
• Stability improvements on eARC related functionality
• Other stability improvements
• Performance improvements to music streaming services and internet radio
1. Amazon Music HD
2. SiriusXM compatibility with new server
• Other stability improvements

If this is all, it's pretty disappointing...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom