Whether to switch to Sky connundrum - V+ for HD?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by andrewilley, Apr 25, 2007.

1. andrewilley

andrewilley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I'm just about to (finally!) get a nice shiney new 46" 1080p HD Ready TV and have to decide what to do about my aging Telewest settop box.

We currently have the Virgin XL TV package, plus 4MB Broadband with phone line and Talk Unlimited for £66.45 per month. No extra subscription channels - in fact pretty much the only extra TV channels we regularly watch are Playhouse Disney for my daughter and Hallmark for my wife, so if we went with Sky we could get one of their cheaper TV packages - but what about any HD content?

After a phone call to Virgin (normal customer services, not gone as far as trying disconnections yet) they've offered me basically the same package I have at the moment, plus a V+ box (with HD) and full 10MB broadband for about the same price - £65.99 - plus a £75 installation fee! (Can I not just plug it in myself? I'll want to do all the configuration myself anyway). This would be with a 12-month contract.

So would Sky's offering be any better value do you think, or will Virgin start to get their HD act together fairly soon? I must admit to being very happy with Telewest/Virgin's broadband, and would be reluctant to lose it to the sloppy service Sky seem to be offering. I find myself downloading a lot of HD programme content anyway and watching it on my current TV, so I'm sure I'll do the same with the new TV too, so maybe the lack of HD content via Virgin won't be too critical just yet?

So has anyone been offered a better deal to stay with Virgin? Do you think I should accept what they've offered, fight for a better deal, or go with Sky?

Andre (confused!)

2. jogon

jogon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I got offered the VIP package for £55.00 a month when they lost Sky channels but my bills have all been wrong so far and i'm totally not sure whether they are gonna hold up on that deal or not.

I think there's a thread on Virgin retentions on here that shows some of the good deals they've been offering lately to try and keep their customers.

3. andrewilley

andrewilley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Thanks for the tip, I've found that thread and posted a message to it.

Anyone else care to comment on the HD (or lack of it) on Virgin?

Andre

4. jogon

jogon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Too be honest the HD content is very little especially compared to SKY, there's only really the BBC HD channel and a few On Demand films available. But at the end of the day I think the V+ box is pretty good as a PVR and is probably just as good or better as SKY+. The HD content should grow over time plus the V+ upscales SD TV too and I seem to get a much better image than when I was using the standard STB. If you really want the HD content it's probably more worthwhile going to Sky but it is a lot of money for what you are getting and their content is still slightly limited.

5. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218

Yes, don't expect any of it for a very, very long time.

6. ScottBT

ScottBT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Remember that Sky HD will cost you £10 per month, £299 for the box and a dish on the side of your house.:thumbsup:

7. montehampster

montehampster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yep and worth every penny!!

Just moved to Sky and whilst in theory the Thomson box is not as good as the V+ at least it works! In addition Sky answer the phone when you ring them within a sensible time (never had to hold for longer than a minute compared to the average of 25 minutes over my last three calls to Virgin to cancel and now probably faced with more since my final bill is wrong - again!). My one email to them answered within 24 hours against's Virgins 25 day non reply before I rang them and still no reply to my complaint letter despite an acknowledgement of receipt dated the 14th of April. Just how long I wonder will it take me to sort out the billing problem? Am seriously thinking of adding "contacting Virgin Media" to the list of hobbies on my CV it's taking that much of my time!!

If you want HD Sky is better without doubt. If you value VOD it's Virgin but I only really miss the Catch Up TV when I've forgotten to set for record and at least with Sky I get a second chance with remote record via the PC at work or my mobile phone.

8. Platelet

Platelet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It's also worth noting that the BBC HD service is likely to be turned off in the next couple of months, so virgin's HD content will then be limited to VOD.

Sky's HD content will stay ahead of Virgin's as long as the dispute rumbles on, and on - so if it goes to court you can expect it to be next year before it's resolved.

Oh and if you do go the sky route shop around - checking amazon.co.uk shows that you can get the box for £209 providing you are taking a HD sub - not the £299 often quoted by most suppliers

And finally, Virgin have not charged for HD content yet, because all they were offering was the BBC trial. There's a strong possibility that the negotiations on the sky channels will involve a cost for the HD ones, which may end up being passed on to the customer (it was part of sky's arguement for the sky 1 price hike for example) - can't really tell till all that gets settled

9. Platelet

Platelet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, I might have been a touch premature on the BBC HD front

So there's a chance that it will stay on air till November