1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wheres the weak link

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by UnNaturo1, Dec 25, 2004.

1. UnNaturo1

UnNaturo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heyas,

I'm looking for a some advice re: my system below

I'm running a Yamaha rx-v2400, a JVC xv-nk58 dvd, Panasonic pd50, Mission m74i fronts, Mission m7c1i centre , Mission m7ds surrounds and a solid pb100 sub.

Something feels weak...maybe its the sub..not really sure.

It could also be my lack of experience with the yami amp...its new and ive yet to learn how to control it...tho i have it setup ok.

The room is also an oddity...a mezzanine above my workshop ..open to below...L shaped with wooden floors, plwood ceiling and 1 concrete block wall.

I'm running monster cables btween everything except the sub, which has a super cheap rca cable, tho advice given to me so far is not to worry about that.

I'm finding the sub a lil weak but when i turn it up...it shudders/vibrates...so i put some foam carpet underlay under it..this supressed its urge to shudder but clarity is not good...kind of muddled.

What do all u experts think :)

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I havent heard of the pb100, which manufacturer is it? Is it a downfiring sub? It has been put forward many times that some wooden floors are not kind to downfiring subwoofers.

I would also say the sub cable is very important and that a bad one can really muddy the bass. Positioning is also a factor, the sub may sound better in other areas of the room, some experimentation with placement could well cure the issue.

Would help a bit more if we had some more info on the sub though, any links? :)

3. UnNaturo1

UnNaturo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sub sits right of centre between the fronts...i can't place it in a corner due to doorways in the the only 2 there are.stairwell lefthand side and room opens up back left into kitchen etc.

The best link i can find for the solid sub is below

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/reviews/hccreviews/Subwoofers/Solid/SolidPB100.php

i will see what i can do about the subs rca cable ... nothings open on boxing day here :)

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I'm thinking the rest of the system is outclassing the sub. When you say the sound is weak, I'm assuming that you mean there is not enough low end grunt?

The review states that the pb100 is quite discreet, and when you turn it up you say it sounds muddled, so may be time to upgrade the sub to the same level as the rest of your system. I think the forward firing BK XLS200 or the PB10 ISD from SVS would be a perfect match for the system described above.

5. UnNaturo1

UnNaturo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking that maybe i should go bigger than a 10", maybe a 1st rate 12"...the fronts and centre could even be replaced and maybe a couple of new rears...

I'm reasonably happy with the mission bar that they are made in malaysia so are probably of average quality..if that.

Svs are not availiable here is nz tho i have plenty of friends travelling thru the US each year on business who could help me out there.

One of my mates is the proprietor of a electronics/appliance store (chain) that sell B&W and i can get them at a pretty good price and a few other brands...
    Another mate manages a store that deals in a lot of velodyne and infinity and mission (where i got my mission from to start with )

Mid next year, i'm putting in another mezzanine floor to give myself more space and was thinking about expanding the HT abit...tho i still like reasonable sound via 2 channel...

I think the amps prolly going to be ok for a few more years..well i hope :)

I suppose its fair to say that i'm willing to spend :D

6. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I would change the m7c1i centre for a m7c2 centre ,if you can find one.

7. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Solid were part of B&W range a few years ago,nothing special,just small little satalittes and the sub.

But I think,if I can picture it right,your main problem will be the room,sounds hollow,and I think will sound boomy,due to the floor and celing materials and construction,as your lucky to have mates that have shops i would get a good sub home and try it first,just to see how the room reacts before spending your hard earned.

8. UnNaturo1

UnNaturo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx for your comments so far.

Summer hols here and i've just returned from 2 weeks at the beach :smashin:

My problem is the room, but i also think the sub is a bit on the weak side too.

I ran some test tones from snapbug thru it (the system)and the sub didnt respond well.

I will grab another centre tho and test it b4 i buy i it.

I will borrow another brand sub, maybe a b&w or a velodyne just to check it out. I've been reading alot of the threads on subs and i'm sold on svs even tho i can't test 1. Talk about crazy ;)

Will report back soon ... any other advice will be welcome too
    :)