1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's the eye on Sky+?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by paiger, Jun 18, 2003.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm seriously considering swapping my Sony 760 for a Pace Sky+ box as they appear to be making the same money on ebay!. I assume I can just plug the sky+ box into the standard dish and away I go?

What I need to know is where the remote 'eye' is on these boxes. On my Sony it's on the far left under the power button and is obscured by the wood on my AV unit door, meaning I have to have it open. If anyone has a Sky + box, could you have a quick look and tell me how wide the box is and how far from either side the 'eye' is.

Thanks in advance.

2. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yes and no. you can just plug it in to a normal dish BUT it will then only act like a normal digi box. to take advantage of Sky+ you need a dual LNB when sky+ is install you have two cable runs to your dish. As for the size it depends if its an old or new style box. The old style is your bog standard AV equipment size but I think the new box is smaller (I have an old box) I think the IR eye is in the middle of the box

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks. I know I won't be able to use the HDD functions but I don't want to pay £10 a month anyway, I don't watch enough TV to justify it and my VCR gets used about twice a year. What I would like is 5.1 for movies and also the Svideo out makes it easier to run through my amp and into the PJ.

How noisy is yours? I take it there is a fan and a hard drive in there. Is it possible to disconnect the HDD as I won't be using it or would this screw the whole thing up? I reckon I can keep it cool enough to avoid the fan cutting in as it'll be on it's own shelf.

4. fancyabrew

fancyabrew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I haven't noticed any noise at all. It does run hot'ish well the top of the case is warm, but its not too bad

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read elsewhere that disconnecting the hard drive causes no problem at all. There is a fan inside but it is temperature controlled. If my box is anything to go by it will only cut in when you have smoke and flames coming out of the box. I had to fit an always on fan to keep mine cool after I upgraded the hard disk, but that won't apply in your case. It should be as quiet as a church mouse!

DaveP

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, I didn't know if it had some kind of OS on the HDD or whether it needed to detect it to work. If it needs one, I'll probably replace it with a cheap laptop HDD which are virtually silent.