1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's the cheapest place to get a Dual Layer dvd recorder?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Rob20, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Either internal or external. Also, where's the best place to get cheap dual layer dvds?

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I always use bigpockets.co.uk for my drives and media. They really are very cheap and the service is excellent.

I seem to remember seing a dual layer Phillips 16x recorder going for £27.99 on there last week :eek:

Highly recommended.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    SVP aka blankdiscshop are excellent for DVD media and also sell burners. link to SVP

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    There is indeed a Phillips drive for £28 inc vat that not only records to - and + r/rw discs, but also -/+ dual layer discs, and cdr/crw. How the hell can it be so cheap!? I was expecting £80 or so. I know this is a dumb question, but I'd rather be sure; will discs made on this pc dvd drive work obn any dvd player?

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Of course providing the player is compatible with the format of disc you are using. Remember some players wont play discs recorded on +R discs. Having said that I have a £50 dvd player that will play +R / -r / +rw / -RW / CDR / CDRW. But this recorder will also record DVD r- at 8 speed thats twice the speed of my current writer which is only 12 months old.

I have just picked one up actually. Unbelivable price. They are really good I have been using them for years. You have to remember they are one of the biggest importers of CDR / DVD r media in europe. They are also a wholesaler as well as retail many retailers buy their media from them, the volumes they employ mean they are virtually impossible to beat on price for discs.

Dual layer DVDs are still very expensive and will be for a while until there is a large installed base of recorders. Again bigpockets is as cheap as you are going to get. Be sure your player will play them as well, its a relatively new standard and some players can be fussy with dual layer media apparently.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    Just to point out the Philips is not exclusive at that price point - have a look on EBuyer for example where you will find numerous drives hovering around the sub-£30 mark - most of which are faster than the Philips (primarily for dual layer media) and offer extras, e.g. DVD-R DL support, lightscribe, DVD-RAM support, offer bitsetting support for DVD+R DL etc.

The cost of dual layer DVD+Rs and double layer DVD-Rs is largely driven by the fact there are so few companies producing them. The production process is more complex than normal DVDR media and thus the majority of Chinese mass producers - who have been responsible for driving down the price of DVDRs - are excluded.