Where's the bottleneck?!?

JamesP1701

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Have just had to buy a new Geforce 1060 after my 670 died. However, after trying a few games, there isn't really that much improvement. This is leading me to question where else my system needs changing.

Im running:

Windows 10 64 bit
i7 860 2.8ghz
16GB Ram

ASRock p55 Pro motherboard.

Any thoughts?

Have you self-diagnosed at all?

You should see an improvement. Your hardware is fine. Are you using benchmarking tests to validate your "not much improvement"?

What you have now is the equivalent of a standard Ford Fiesta running on racing fuel. Sure it'll get you from A to B, but not very efficiently as it's a bit of a mis-match. Ideally you'd want to upgrade mobo, cpu & ram too for the best results.

I'm still running an i7 920 4.0Ghz on an X58 platform with a new r9 390 and its perfectly fine for gaming. Its still has only 6GB ram too.

Have you looked at overclocking your CPU. Get it to 3.5 - 4.0Ghz and see if you can see improvements. As above run some benchmarks and see where your at. :)

Valley | UNIGINE: real-time 3D engine

What you have now is the equivalent of a standard Ford Fiesta running on racing fuel. Sure it'll get you from A to B, but not very efficiently as it's a bit of a mis-match. Ideally you'd want to upgrade mobo, cpu & ram too for the best results.

Don't believe anything Bolt says he upgrades his whole PC if he gets a new mouse :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks all. Have done some more playing and think I was premature. Definitely a difference.

Out of curiousity, I tried 4K res on my tv. Whilst I won't play this normally was curious. Crisis 2, for example plays at a very stable and smooth 30fps but won't go higher. Any thoughts?

Got to be the CPU? I can do 4k with a 1060 on older games and stuff like Elite runs nicely at 1440 at 60fps and my set up is exactly the same as yours apart from my CPU is slightly faster. (I think) Overclock it! (said the man who's never overclocked anything)

Thanks all. Have done some more playing and think I was premature. Definitely a difference.

Out of curiousity, I tried 4K res on my tv. Whilst I won't play this normally was curious. Crisis 2, for example plays at a very stable and smooth 30fps but won't go higher. Any thoughts?

TV probably doesn't have HDMI 2.0 to do 4K 60.

Realised it's probably my hdmi cable. Haven't bought a new one in ages so reckon it's not 2.0.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Think I was a bit hasty. Thank you all for your advice. remarkably impressed-1080p 60fps without a hitch for GTA. Oddly though older games like company of heroes or even cities skylines still suffers from a frame rate drop at times.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom