Where's the best place to get a electric screen

jk330ci

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking for a 92" electric screen, rs do sapphire screens for around £399 which made me think surely I can get a tab tensioned for similar money.
Where's the best place to get a screen that won't curl at the edges. I have a manual optoma screen that curled after three weeks.

you should be looking at the Platinum screen thread and reading what owners have said before jumping in

You would think a well respected brand like optoma would make decent screens even if they are budget. I fully understand that you pay more you get more in most cases. I have always bought the best I can afford with hifi in years gone past, unfortunately having a large family has meant I can no longer justify paying a lot for my little hobby/ obsession.
I will definitely read that thread to get some ideas.
Iv looked at those screens on Amazon and wondered what they were like. Price is attractive for sure.

I agree! If your the type that can except faults and can also make compromises and not be too fussy like some with a certain level of picture quality! then I guess the amazon and other cheaper brands aren't that bad............as no matter what price level / point that your at your still having to make compromises.

Well I'm perfectly happy image wise with my manual optoma screen, it's just the ripple and curling that concerns me with that one. As long as I can equal the image quality then I'm happy.
Anythings better that the pioneer 720p plasma iv been using

On a sort of side note/ thread hijack :offtopic:, I know there are plenty of threads that make some mention but projector screen brand....

From what I can tell for a mid budget choice for us people who cant afford to splash a grand or two on a screen (£200-£400 - manual/electric) then the popular choices for semi good quality seem to be: Sapphire, Grandview, Eyeline, Draper Luma (contrast grey) or Panoview.

Many suggest these are all essentially the same screen material with perhaps different badging/ housing designs?

Obviously a substantial price difference between some so does it make sense to opt for the cheaper ones - ie: Eyeline over Sapphire, but Sapphire over Grandview? Or are there actual differences? OP was looking at the sapphire so sort of on topic!!:)

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Might get a grey one if they're still in stock end of this month.

I'll let you know what they're like of i do.

I'll pay on credit card tho for extra security.

If there ok I'll also may buy one too! The only issue that I have is going to be mounting it to the ceiling as my joists are around 8" from the ends of my current 8' cassette and this TT mounts via hooks at the cassette ends! And there will also be a gap between the ceiling and cassette which isn't a good look.

Just realised I live about 15min drive from platinum people above. I may give em a ring and see if I can go have a look at their stuff

I'm just still pondering if it's worth the extra 200 beer tokens for tab tensioning tho

Apparently the white version doesn't have the sparkles................And apparently the grey screens are painted as its not actually grey material which depending on which paint is used is probably why the sparkles are present!! An educated guess would be that the paint used has too much luminosity as if the base paint was a eggshell or satin paint.

Hmm, I think ill probably opt for a higher quality panoview non tab tensioned than this, specs says its a 4 layered screen fabric, i believe one layer is fibre like the grandview. My gut tells me a good quality screen material will be better than a poor one with tab tension.
Will update if I do go and have a look at the platinum anyway.

The 106" eyeliner electric one from projectorpoint seems decent value, some £50 less than the Sapphire one.

What is actually the difference? Anyone know?

I'm still looking for a 106" screen of reasonable quality, ideally grey and electric.

Budget is £400 but could go slightly higher if warranted.

Is there anything out there in this price range?

I'm open to PM's if any dealers have any offers/advice.

I've emailed platinum 147 about the fact of the sparkles and shuddering motors and if these issues had been sorted!! But has from 2/3 days ago I still haven't received an answer plus any other emails I've sent ive have had quite a quick response up until now?

Good news!

SWMBO has agreed we can arrange the room in such a way that a fixed screen is now an option. Oooh!

This also means I've got a full wall to play with so I'm now only limited to how far back I can get the projector, which is about 4.5m...120" should be just about doable.

Pity I’m useless at DIY :)

OK, mount ordered and Pourascreen ordered. Just got to get some primer now. Oh and some nice black edging, any recommendations for that?

And actually mount the projector, obviously. This could end badly...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom