1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where's the best place to buy glass lens' for my seleco?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tim Cooper, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi I have a seleco 400ht & was looking to purchase some glass lenses for it.
    where is the best place to buy them (price wise)

2. Alan Westy

Alan Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Probably from Owl, IMHO you would see more improvement buying a Quadscan scaler. you could then eliminate the internal line doubler which is not very good and have the benefits of progressive scan on all your inputs.

Alan

3. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Alan,
    What is this quadscan doo-dah then? what's the cost (expensive i bet)
    I thought that my projector had progressive scan as standard?????
    Cheers
    Tim

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Tim,

Your projector has an internal line doubler as standard. It's widely regarded as the weakest link in the 400/450/500 series units.

The Quadscan is a unit that de-interlaces the signal (to a higher quality than the Seleco internal unit) then scales it to one of several ouput resolutions.

Doubled, tripled, quadrupled, svga, xga, some plasma ones and uxga. Your projector can only work at doubled and maybe svga I think. Quadscans are supposed to retail in the UK for £1850 + vat. You can get them cheaper if you know who to ask or want to risk mail order from the US or other countries.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

5. Alan Westy

Alan Westy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Tim,

Gordon's just about said it all, I have a 450 with Quadscan and have compared it to a 500 with the glass lenses, both fed with the same DVD player. The 450+Quadscan is quite a bit sharper, and I think I am correct in saying that the boys from Owl will probably confirm this.

Alan

6. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

I've got a Seleco with glass lenses, and I did have a Quadscan (for all of a couple of days, it was knackered when I got it). Hopefully I will have one again if Focus honour their warranty.

I don't see that it's a case of 'either/or'. A Quadscan will definitely give you a bigger improvement than glass lenses but at a substantially higher cost. Why not go for both? If you shop around you could probably pick up some glass lenses for around £500-600 (less than half the price of a Quadscan and guaranteed to work!!!) and then go for a scaler at a later date, providing you with an upgrade path as funds allow. The combination of both will give you a pretty terrific picture. I use a HTPC for DVD and combined with glass lenses the picture is superb, although as with everything in life you get used to what you've got and start wishing for more (a Barco 808 graphics for example).

Regards
    Gary

Update:

I've have had a steady exchange of emails with Focus over my Quadscan. To cut a long story short I sent it back to the address they gave me with their RMA number, they received it 2 weeks ago according to Fedex but have no record of receiving it. I just received a reply to yet another email asking them for an update on the situation, unbelievable the guy I've been dealing with via email for the past week sent me a reply the same as the first one he sent over a week ago he had no recollection of dealing with me!!! Short term memory or what! It would appear that if you are lucky enough to get a working unit then that's fine, if not.... well it's a lot of money to kiss goodbye.

[This message has been edited by GaryG (edited 08-02-2001).]

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Gordon,
    The Quadscan has a retail price of £1850 inc VAT (NOT plus VAT). And of course, it is up to the retailer to decide if they discount from that price or not.

Tim,
    As Alan Westy found, the Quadscan does produce sharper images than the internal line doubler. It can also produce a semi-anamorphic image from plain letterbox formats. This is because of its Aspect Ratio Control function.

GaryG,
    I'm sorry to hear you've had problems with the Quadscan (I presume) you bought direct from the states.

It might have cost you a little more, but buying in the UK (after some haggling) could have saved you money in the long run. Any problems would have been handled by the UK distributor.

Regards

------------------
    Chris Frost
    Regional Sales Manager-N.England & Scotland
    Owl Video Systems Ltd
    www.owl-video.co.uk

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Chris,

Thanks for the clarifiaction. I originally thought it was £1850 inc but after a conversation with someone I got the strange idea it was £1850 +. Thankfully we don't sell them for that anyway ;-)

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

9. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris

I had ordered a Rock from TAW, but didn't feel comfortable continuing with the purchase and switched to one of their Quadscans as I had already sent money. Best of all today I got a bill from customs for £150+ for VAT/Duty on the thing. Good job I've got a sense of humour, I'm scanning the internet now for a cheap flight to the US so I can go and poke somebody at Focus in the eye!

Regards
    Gary