Where's the best place to buy extended warranty for a TV?

w3d

I have just bought a new TV, but no extended warranty was offered. Obviously I will get the standard 12 month manufacturer warranty, but I didn't know if and extended warranty might be worth it?

If so, where is the best place to buy?

kpatm

I just got myself a TV aswell on Amazon and Im waiting until there 1 year warranty runs out(well just before actually)then Im going to get a 2 or 3 year warranty with Domestic & General.They are also sold on Amazon at a reasonable price.Infact you could probably just contact D&G yourself and cut out the middle man.

w3d

I might go with them too actually, thats the main company that keeps popping up on searches.

brianjh

Standard Member
Hi All! My first post on the forums, so I hope I do it right! Just to say that the cover by Amazon is from Entertainment Exclusive and a lot cheaper than going direct to D&G, but does not cover for accidental damage: I believe it's the same in all other respects. As a household 'Contents Insurance' will usually cover for accidental damage, going via Amazon can be up to £100 cheaper.

Brianjh

brianjh

Standard Member
Glad to be of help
icon7.gif

BTW, I think the Amazon one has to be got within the first three months of purchase of the item.

w3d

'Allianz' do a 3 year cover on Amazon for the same price but this includes accidental damage too.

• The 3 year Domestic & General package will only actually 'extend' your cover by 2 years as it starts its breakdown cover at the time your manufacturer warranty ends - which is a total or 3 years warranty.

• The 3 year Allianz package will also only 'extend' your breakdown cover by 2 years but you will also be covered for accidental damage for the duration of the total 3 years cover.
The reviews on Amazon are quite negative but this only seems to be from people that feel they were miss-led by the package title.

Allianz is the obvious choice but I don't know what either are like as a company. Which would you go for?

Last edited:

w3d

...The Allianz package doesn't apply anyway as I'm sure it has to be bought with/for a tv purchased from amazon.

I'm going for the Domestic & General package.

Last edited:

fredchan

Standard Member
In general add up your total household extended warranty premiums and see if the total is any where near your annual budget for hardware. For example, if you added up that you spend £1000 on insurance premium (quite easy to do for a washing machine, fridge, TV, cooker,personal computer ..) then over a period of 3 years ask if you would spend £3000 of new goods. In most cases, most people would be better off self insured themselves by paying the premiums that they would otherwise spend into a savings account.

SnOpPeR

In general add up your total household extended warranty premiums and see if the total is any where near your annual budget for hardware. For example, if you added up that you spend £1000 on insurance premium (quite easy to do for a washing machine, fridge, TV, cooker,personal computer ..) then over a period of 3 years ask if you would spend £3000 of new goods. In most cases, most people would be better off self insured themselves by paying the premiums that they would otherwise spend into a savings account.

That is a good philosophy :thumbsup: I have 5 years on my Samsung but only because I negotiated and they threw it in for free ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom