1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's The Best Deal For A Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by shugg, Nov 21, 2004.

1. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello all, its good to see a lively debate, not the blurb i see in the mags.....

having looked in this forum and visited some retailers, i am now at that stage of shelling out :eek: is there anyone out there who has any tips on buying the phillps 42pf9966 ?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Buy from a retailer you trust/have been reconmended make sure you have seen it in action and dont always go for the cheapest of cheap suppliers with such an expensive purchase... Can i ask why the Philiips unit over Pioneer/Fujitsu/Panasonic???
    Personally i would reconmend you have a look at this http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/fujitsu_p42hhs30_es_plasma.html
    and this
    http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_th-42phd7_plasma.html

If you are worried about connectivity on the monitor style screens dont worry too much its easy just takes some thought and £3.5k gets you the best 42" System going these days..... Panny PHD7 Panel and Iscan HD scaler a far superior offering to the Phillips Alis TV In My Opinion

3. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ta for the gen hornydragon....i've seen the pioneer435 beside the phillips,it was connected using pioneer hdmi dvd and the motion jerkiness when the camera panned was v.bad (MIB2 HQ scene has a long panning sequence, i've seen it on other scenes also) up to that point i was going to buy the pioneer! the same scene on the phillips- no probs...
    i've got alot of separates for my hi-fi and was hoping to get an all in one solution for the visuals....however you say the panny or fujitsu + scaler is better...?
    1. will i see motion jerks on panning shots with these?
    2. will the scaler accept hi-def input?
    3. can you expand why they are better?
    4. where can i see them, i live in richmond, london
    many thanks in advance :smashin: shugg

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if you live in Richmond i suggest you pop down AV-Sales in KEnt (Tunbridge wells for a demo) and have a chat to MAW (Forum memebr and dealer in Surrey) both will be able to offer you demos of PHD7 with/without scaler and alternatives also showing you haow it all hooks up.
    Philips is a 2 box solution so is pioneer (panel and scaler with a pronto is the same number of boxes just different badges)
    Scaler will take HiDEf input as well as giving video switching and audio delay (no audio dealy on Philips or Pio) you can then run one/2 cables to screen..... i reconmedn PHD7 and Iscan HD as the Dogs

5. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ta once more, i've just been out today and seen some pannys the pw6 and a 50"pw7 and they both had this panning jeekiness too.(neither using a scaler)
    is it just me or have you noticed this on panning scenes, too?
    p.s. one shop had the phillips for1p short of £3000...trying to get J.L. to price match....

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I prefer the Alis panels myself, they are truly excellent, t's all about personal opinion.

Philips are good, no doubt, everytime i've seen a Philips 42" they have produced lovely pictures compared to the Pannys.

Don't get blind, go out and see for yourself and make up your own mind what's best.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    if you like Philiips go see a Fujitsu HHA or HHS (they invented and the best at ALIS) Philips buy the technology off them.........

8. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx horneydragon, i've seen the fujitsu, and it must be the natural motion software in the philips, which i like (no motion judder)..........also joe fernand has been experimenting with scalers + pannny7 and ther is no universal solution unless you have a fortune to spend.......J.L. in kingston london have just agreed to price match ASK (on tottenham court rd), so i will get a 5 year warranty, the service, too. seems like it is meant to be.... shugg

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Odd as Fujitsu AVM is the best in the business was it it a fujitsu HHA30 you saw?

10. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't remember, sorry.....are you saying that fujitsu has no judder, i thought philips bought the screen in then added all their own software, and that is what is making the difference..

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    welll i dont remember ever seeing judder on an HHA30 via component.... but it may do ( not sure how rejigged the phillips is some people rejig lots, some hardly to anything except change the badge on the front.......

12. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I chose my plasma TV from a list of suppliers on the Pricerunner website. The good thing about Pricerunner is that people can review the suppliers as well as the products. I chose a supplier that had a good price and good customer feedback, and I was not disappointed with the service.