Question Where's the 0.1?

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by Arcammer, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Arcammer

Arcammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got a Samsung MS650 Soundbar together with the wireless rear speakers recently, which I'm very pleased with. Its connected via HDMI from my Blu Ray Player.

To test out the sound I played the THX Audio Tests from the Terminator 2 Blu Ray.

Centre, Left, Right, Front and Rear speakers all played correctly, but I was disappointed to find the LFE Subwoofer channel didn't produce any sound through the Soundbar at all.

As I don't have a separate Sub, I was expecting the Sub channel to be mixed by the Soundbar into the normal "bass" output from the Soundbar - but this isn't what's happening.

So is the 0.1 channel "ignored" by the Soundbar - if so, what drives the Subwoofers in the soundbar, apart from the "normal" low frequencies from an audio soundtrack?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,592
    'Where's the 0.1?' - most likely looking for the optional wireless Subwoofer.

A Soundbar covering 40Hz~20KHz is never going to play Sub frequencies so no matter what the processing 'mixes' from the incoming signal the Soundbar can not play very low.

Joe

3. Arcammer

Arcammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the explanation, Joe - its kind of obvious the way you put it.