Question Where's my memory gone(SSD)

ADC

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Evening
Purchased a new laptop on Monday with 128gbSSD (8gb RAM) of memory. I don't need a huge amount of memory so I thought it would be sufficient. However I've just checked the free space left and it's only got 49gb out of 102gb available left on it I've put around 16gb of music on it and from I can see about 1.5gb is used by installed programs. What's happenend to the rest of the space? I'm thinking of returning it tomorrow but just thought I'd ask someone on here first in case I'm missing something.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Sounds about right. Windows will take up 30-60GB depending on age and programs installed and there's probably a 10GB or so restore partition.

128GB is manageable if you don't have a lot but it's definitely a small amount of storage. If you think about 49GB if too little for you then it's worth swapping the laptop for the 256GB model.

Try treesize free. It's a handy little program that will show you what is taking up the space.

From the 102GB actual space, I'd say you probably have hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys taking up a fair amount of space, could be 15GB for example. Windows may be about 20GB.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom