1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's my hard drive??

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by vulkan75, Dec 8, 2003.

1. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok.I've been having some probs with windows xp of late and decided to reinstall me on my second hard drive(c).
    So b4 hand I transfer all the wanted files over to my main hard drive(d)and format c.
    I have installed me on the formated c drive and everything works fine.
    However I go to my computer,ready to share out the files I had previously transfered and to my surprise its not there.:confused:

I have not touched anything inside ide cables or whatever so I guess its a problem with windows finding it.

maybe this is a no brainer for you guys but any help would be appreciated.

thanxx..:(

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Is the XP drive formatted in NTFS? If so, you're going to out of luck I think.

I know that Win9x can't read NTFS disks that are mounted locally, and I would imagine that ME is the same.

It can read them over a network though, so if you have another machine, you can put the disk in there and read it.

3. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers,that did cross my mind but I thought I had installed xp in the fat file format..might be wrong though.

since there are two hard discs with two different o/s why cant I get the option to switch between the two at start-up..??

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sadly Windows is brain-dead when it comes to moving it after installation .. you'd have to install in a dual-boot environment to be able to select system, you can't just move what was C: on to say D: and boot from there, Windows stores many, many pathnames in the Registry and elsewhere using drive letter rather than disk identifications. There are utilities which claim to do this, IMX none are completely guaranteed to work completely.

If I understand what you did correctly you'll have to cross-plug this disks to re-boot your old system them copy across to your new disk before switching back.

5. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent idea Kra....Thats exactly what i'll try.:smashin:

I'll let you know how I get on..
    thanx guys.:)

6. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well.....It didn't work.:mad:

so I had to reinstall xp back in the place of ME.....

Back to unreliable xp then.:p :p

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can't see why it wouldn't have worked Vulkan, but not knowing how you'd formatted things it's possible you'd got incomaptible file systems somewhere, Win98/ME can't see NTFS for example.

Oh well, skill and installing Windows is a pre-requisite for anyone using a PC longer than 6 months. :D

8. vulkan75

vulkan75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha...agreed,and even more so for insdtalling duel o/s'..

12mths maybe..;) :rotfl: