Where's my E-MOD???

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Juzminator, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK guys, help me out here.

I've got a Pioneer 737 (modified by T*echTr*nics) - why is it when I opened the case to have a look inside I couldn't see the emod (near the side vent) - I looked everywhere and couldn't see one - wass goin' on? :confused: :confused:

It still plays all regions and RCE though :D

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wierd, Iwas lead to believe (from their Website) that the e-mod was positioned in the air-vent on the side? Mines plane to see (on my 717) that is.

Anyone else got this prob? I'm interested to know!!

Thanx

Paul :p

3. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Exactly Salty,

That's where it's supposed to be, but it ain't - this has got to be (by default) presumably, a software modification.

C'mon everybody - put yer thinkin' hats on ;)

4. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just want to say that my Pioneer 626D was done with E-Mod and while i have an E-Mod in my machine, its still a software mod. All the E-Mod does is just load the new software into the player. When you revove it the software is lost.

Maybe Techtronics have found a way to have the machine modded and with new All region software and not need the hardware mod.

Who knows?

5. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the 737 one of the surface mount flash rom chips would have been replaced, the fact that you did n't see this means the installation was properly done so don't worry about it :)

6. Chris Webster

Chris Webster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The e-mod circuit board is nothing but a dongle for the firmware that replaces the original Pioneer one. The firmware is downloaded via the service adaptor on the side of the player (the slot the dongle plugs into). It was done to stop people copying the Techtronics firmware, and is also a pretty good marketing gimmick.

The modified firmware simply talks to the dongle to see whether or not to enable the multi-region features. You don't need the dongle if the firmware doesn't ask for it - and this is probably true of the 737.

7. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The only thing I found odd was that there was nothing actually near the service port once I took the cover off - you know, like a male or female port of some kind - it is just an ordinary piece of circuit board on the other side of the vent - oh well, as long as it works - only worry is this - if it isn't a hardware mod, could the player possibly revert to its pre-mod state cos of a power surge or summink?

8. Chris Webster

Chris Webster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Theres no need to worry about a power surge reseting the mod as its the players FIRMWARE that has been modified and this is stored in flash memory. If it gets corrupted then you'll get something like 'FLASH CHK' on the front of the player and it won't work.

A power surge would cause a lot more damage before affecting the flash.

9. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Chris,

Cheers for the reassurance mate :)