Where's my disc gone?

deadslow

Standard Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I put a disc in, played it, took it out. Put another one in, nothing happened. Hit eject, three beeps, nothing happened. Tried the forced eject, nothing. Turned it upside down, on its side...but the PS3 is convinced there is no disc inside.

Inserted another disc. Recognised and plays. Ejects fine.

My question, where on earth has disc 1 gone? Is there room for 2 in the drive? Why doesn't 1 come out with 2? Have I got to crack open the drive?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give. It's quite infuriating not being able to do Singstar with ABBA:).

Sounds to me that someone doesn't want to hear you singing anymore and they have stolen the game without you knowing!!

PS sorry that doen't help, but I couldn't resist!!

AFAIK you can't insert 2 discs at once, I tried it not realising there was already a disc inserted. :suicide:

Did you try and insert the second disc straight after you ejected the first? If not, I would go with the above answer, someone else has ejected the disc :smashin:

Having pulled apart my old PS3 and it's optical drive, i can pretty much say it's impossible to get two discs in - and they'd certainly not play/insert/eject if you did.

Do you notice any weird noises when inserting/ejecting? Were you drunk when putting in the lost disc? Maybe you "inserted" it underneath the PS3 or into a book nearby... ;)

Do you notice any weird noises when inserting/ejecting? Were you drunk when putting in the lost disc? Maybe you "inserted" it underneath the PS3 or into a book nearby... ;)

Is that experience talking there Stinja? :)

To the OP; I was curious so did a google search, seems you can put 2 discs in the drive. Only option seems to be opening it up, either yourself (might void warranty) or send to Sony. Good luck!

I understand the doubters completely, but I am not going mad yet!

Warranty is up, so I'm going to crack her open this afternoon and see. If one of the kids has removed the disc and hidden it there will be trouble in our household tonight!

Will post the result later.

I understand the doubters completely, but I am not going mad yet!

Warranty is up, so I'm going to crack her open this afternoon and see. If one of the kids has removed the disc and hidden it there will be trouble in our household tonight!

Will post the result later.

I followed the video below to retrieve my stuck disc when my PS3 had the YLOD, it's pretty easy to do, just lots of screws :smashin:

YouTube - how to remove a blu ray game from a jammed or dead ps3

Last edited:
Is that experience talking there Stinja? :)
I've sipped but never drunk... ;)

To the OP; I was curious so did a google search, seems you can put 2 discs in the drive.
Surely it wouldnt play though? When i pulled mine apart i could see the mechanism grabs the disc, and then a magnetic top-part clamps onto the bottom part, sandwiching the disc - hence i think you'd have to force the disc in, and it would not load a second one? :confused:

Anyway good luck with that, it's not hard to pull apart, just be very careful with the ribbon cables (you can unclip them at the terminating ends), and the rubber foot-bit which hides the screw which holds the front panel on is easily damaged.

To be honest I'm with you on that one. However, the kids deny having absolutely anything to do with the disappearance of the disc. So, for the sake of my sanity I feel I have no option but to look inside. The video guide looks a bit brutal, but I've found a couple of others. Looking on the bright side I could perhaps set myself up as a PS3 repairman afterwards (assuming it all goes back together again).

I'm in your playstation eating yo games!! :rotfl::rotfl:

I can't see how it can be in there if other games are still playing, are your sure you want to take it apart for the sake of a game that may or may not be there (talking from experience these things don't always go back together *looks at the two halfs of his ps3 controller on his windowsill* :D)

To be honest I'm with you on that one. However, the kids deny having absolutely anything to do with the disappearance of the disc. So, for the sake of my sanity I feel I have no option but to look inside. The video guide looks a bit brutal, but I've found a couple of others. Looking on the bright side I could perhaps set myself up as a PS3 repairman afterwards (assuming it all goes back together again).

Or a PS3 demolition man if it doesn't. Although I'm not sure there's too much demand for that :(

Seriously though - good luck. Takes a brave man to take apart his PS3 when it's still working. But then you've already admitted to singing along to Singstar ABBA so I guess courage is in reasonable supply in your house :devil:. "My name is deadslow and I sing to Singstar ABBA" :devil: :rotfl:

Good news and bad news.

I have successfully dismantled the PS3 and put it together again. Much easier than I thought with the right tools. Gave it a good clean out. Miraculously it still works.

Further good news. I found the disc. Unfortunately, it was not in the PS3 but in the WHS server I have next to the PS3. In haste, I must have just got confused and put it in the wrong slot. Why I didn't think of it I don't know, particularly given that I looked in all the other CD and DVD players we have in the house!

Bad news. I am an idiot as well as a terrible singer... :suicide:

Good news and bad news.

I have successfully dismantled the PS3 and put it together again. Much easier than I thought with the right tools. Gave it a good clean out. Miraculously it still works.

Further good news. I found the disc. Unfortunately, it was not in the PS3 but in the WHS server I have next to the PS3. In haste, I must have just got confused and put it in the wrong slot. Why I didn't think of it I don't know, particularly given that I looked in all the other CD and DVD players we have in the house!

:rotfl: Well at least you found it :D And you now know how to disassemble your PS3 :smashin:

Good news and bad news.

Happens to the best of us mate :)

That could be the best/funniest story i've heard on here before. Anyother moments from anyone else here?

what was your reaction when you opened her up and no disc was too be seen?

In haste, I must have just got confused and put it in the wrong slot.
What did you Mrs say about that?! Mine gave me grief for the mess i'd made... And were you drunk when you "lost" it in the wrong slot?

So a valuable lesson to everyone - check all your other devices! :rotfl:

Yesterday I put a disc in, played it, took it out. Put another one in, nothing happened. Hit eject, three beeps, nothing happened. Tried the forced eject, nothing. Turned it upside down, on its side...but the PS3 is convinced there is no disc inside.

Inserted another disc. Recognised and plays. Ejects fine.

My question, where on earth has disc 1 gone? Is there room for 2 in the drive? Why doesn't 1 come out with 2? Have I got to crack open the drive?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give. It's quite infuriating not being able to do Singstar with ABBA:).
LOL thats funny.

It could be worse, you could have a job as a postman! :D

Sounds like a good excuse to insert a beavis and butthead quote......

Little Old Lady
: Oh, hello, there. Are you two heading for Las Vegas?
Beavis: Yeah. We're gonna score.
Little Old Lady: Oh, well, I hope to score big there, myself. I'm mostly gonna be doing the slots.
Beavis: Yeah, yeah. I'm hoping to do some slots, too. Yeah. Do they have a lot of slots in Las Vegas?
Little Old Lady: Oh, there are so many slots, you won't know where to begin.
Beavis: Whoa. Hey, Butt-Head, this chick is pretty cool. She says there's gonna be tons of slots in Las Vegas.
Butt-head: Cool.
Little Old Lady: It's so nice to meet young men who are so well-mannered.
Beavis: Yeah. I'm gonna have money and a big screen TV and there's gonna be slots everywhere. It's gonna rule.
Little Old Lady: Well, that's nice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom