1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's ET?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by gargoyle, Dec 23, 2000.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yesterday , I watched 'ET' for the first time in years and despite being somewhat disapointed by his constant appearances in relation to British Telecom , enjoyed it very much .
    After dashing the tears from my eyes , I decided to buy it (I had watched it on video) on DVD but was surprised to find that this brilliant film was not available on the format . I also found that some of the biggest films ever made - the Indiana Jones trilogy , the Back to the Future trilogy and a couple of others are not yet commited to the format - I find this very puzzling as these films are guaranteed sellers - I would be more than happy to pay for boxsets of the above titles but don't understand why they are not available when there are some really obscure titles being released - Does anyone out there have any idea why there is no release date available for these titles?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

There are many great films still missing from the DVD format.I agree with you that something must be amiss with the studios or producers of these films for them to still be missing.Then......it clicked!
    Indiana Jones.dir Steven Spielberg prod.a certain G.Lucas.
    E.T. again spielberg.
    Star Wars G.Lucas. Hang on is there a bit of a trend happening here......I think so.

So why do we get the Star Wars Trilogy again on VHS,But no DVD?What is going on?why are the two most popular figures in film blockbusters staying away from the DVD market
    ,do they know something we don't.Or is just a case of trying to build up interest in these films before cashing in.
    Someone got an idea?Maybe we should call in Mulder & Scully to look into this conspiracy theroy

3. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spielberg seems to have embraced DVD, what with DTS, but I'm surprised at Mr Lucas not pumping out the DVD box sets as he does with his VHS sets.

I mean, they VHS sets keep getting re-released. He could have a DVD set out now, then start re-releasing THAT in a couple of years when there's even MORE DVD owners in the world!

Glad I never bought SW on VHS now. In fact, the only films I own on VHS are the first 3 Alien(s) films in the facehugger box set as that was a very cool set.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Personally, I am disappointed that many of the most popular films ever made, are not available to buy on DVD, and can't understand why directors like George Lucas, Spielberg, Coppola, and many others aren't committing to this ultimate format in home cinema.

With places like supermarkets getting in on the act, of selling DVD's, and the fact that you don't need to have top-of-the-range equipment to enjoy DVD, (although, it bloody well helps!), I can't follow why such masterpieces in their own rights, like the Indiana Jones movies, Star Wars Trilogy, the Gopdfather series, et al are missing.

It can't be due to the lack of uptake, as every month, articles keep on appearing in magazines saying how quickly the format has been taken-up by the public. Nor can it be through lack of public demand! Not if half of the forums on the Net, are anything to go by, at least! Nor can it be down to the technology limits. DVD's hold more than enough space, and there are several excellent twin-DVD sets out there, which house the movie on Disc 1, and the extras, or alternate movie cut on Disc 2.

Also, the with-holding of some of the most demanded movies of all time, can't be related to costs of production, or piracy, or anything similar. Essentially, there doesn't appear to be a single, valid reason why these titles aren't available to the public!

When companies release crap made-for-TV movies that most of us wouldn't touch with a barge-pole, and are given shoddy 4:3 treatment, with no subtitles, no extras, and crap audio/picture quality, and yet the companies must be making some profit, then why aren't the big players like Fox, Paramount, MGM, Warners, and Universal doing more?!

Surely, it would be in their best interests to get these titles out ASAP, with or without extras on them. Heaven knows, that within 6 months, they'll re-release them again anyhow, with a better soundtrack, or more extras, or whatever, so they're not going to be loosing anything financially! If "Star Wars" can be released annually, on VHS, at £40 a time, and sell in excess of 20,000 sets, then one, single, basic DVD release, of the three movies, in widescreen, with a few trailers of the other movies in the series, and a Dolby 5.1 soundtrack, would still sell really, really well.

Even the region coding thing, is no longer an issue, as everyone gets their players converted on purchase, or soon after, when they see what they are missing out on, or how bad the R2 market really is!

Anyone else care to comment on this?

Pooch

5. coolgools

coolgools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Gargoyle
    With regards to your theme of big studios not releasing big titles, let me highlights a few facts.
    In summer 1999,I wrote a similar letter to HCC (never got printed), banging away why studios don't release the big titles.
    At the time I listed the top ten box office films of all time and wondered why not even one of those titles were available on DVDs. The list was as follows:
    1) Titanic
    2) Jurassic Park
    3) Independence Day
    4) Star Wars
    5) Lion King
    6) ET
    7) Forrest Gump
    8) Lost WORLD
    9) Empire Strikes Back
    10) Men in Black

As you could see 18 months later 6 out 10 are now available on Dvd (except 4,5,6 and 9). Its a progress but not as quick as we want it. Yes I take your point regarding some big sequel series not currently available eg

Star Wars saga.................Nov. 2001?
    Back to the Future........2nd/3rd quart 01?
    Superman....................Summer 2001?
    Godfather.............................?
    Indiana Jones...............Summer 2001?
    and with the above titles released there is not that much back catalogue left(in terms of blockbusters).Yes the studios are slow but it is damn sight better than 18 months ago.
    coolgools
    ps
    I'm still waiting for the following titles on DVD
    The Party (peter Sellers)
    Point Break (DD or DTS as opposed to D.Surround)
    Baji on the Beach
    Ghost

------------------

6. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    COOLGOOLS -

All I can say is that if Lucas , Spielberg and co have sat on some of the biggest motion pictures of all time , it had better be for a damned good reason - I'v grown to love and respect lucas since I first saw Star Wars in 1977 whilst at school and spielberg in 1978 when I watched Jaws and over the years as both guys amazed and astounded the world with superb movies , my admiration steadily increased but as time passes , it seems that both guys are getting high on their own popularity and acting like prima donna's!
    As per your list , I was pleased to see that there is a release date for 'Superman' as this title is long overdue.
    Appreciate the other release date info's.

7. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gargoyle,

Check out thedigitalbits.com site. They've just published details of some of those films we've been missing that are due for release next year, including Godfather, Back to the Future and Schindler's List.

If it wasn't for the fact that I was so keen on getting my hands on a copy of these films myself, I would pray for the next format to come along quickly, leaving these greedy people having sold no DVDs to the market of these films [​IMG] That would teach them, eh?

Bottom line is some studios were incredibly slow picking up on DVD altogether (Fox, Disney and Paramount), supporting a rival rip-off format in the US, and some have lost their way altogether now (MGM) but the good news is Spielberg now has his act a little bit together (SPR, Jaws, Jurrasic Park and Lost World, etc) with Schindler's List slated for later this year. And those discs that he has done are so good, I can almost forgive him [​IMG]

8. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason why Lucas, Speielberg et al, don't release stuff on DVD is that they are control freaks. Star Wars etc is always being released as people will always need to replace VHS copies. Once the "ultimate" DVD editions come out, where is the resale market?

DTS is also a factor. I believe Spielberg has a financial interest in this format? Until it has more or less replaced DD as the standard, I think we will continue to wait?

Regional coding must, I believe, play a part. As region 1 discs are sold the world over, where is the territorial control these directors are so concerned about?

They will come out eventually, I am sure of it. Our children might see them!

9. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hay COOLGOOLS have you made a mistake with your post saying 6 out of 10 films are out?

I have not seen forest gump for sale, and cant find it anywhere.....and i dont wanner miss out on that one.

BEST FILM EVER (IMHO).

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Maybe the boys are just too busy. These kind of people are control freaks (Myers Briggs NF's).

Lucas is working on SW2, so I can't see him stopping to spend 3 months directing the creation of a boxset. Speilberg has released all his latest films.. Saving Private Ryan, that US slave one, Jurassic i&ii.

If I were them I would want to focus alot of time to produce the ultimate boxs. If Lucas banged out a naff Starwars box set on DVD (I think he did a VHS one this xmas!) and then he releases a limited ed. six months later we would all be shouting and screaming. Sad thing is he'll probably will do this! Anyway, the point I was trying to make was if you want a DD5.1 sound track and extras then stay cool we're ganna have to wait. I'm staying optimistic, I think It'll be worth the wait.

11. coolgools

coolgools

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear chris
    my apologies it would seem that forrest gump has not been released on dvd. somehow my memory recalled that it has been released but not so. memory playing tricks... watching too many films i guess?? if i find the release date i will inform you.
    once again sorry... can't be perfect...unlike a borg!!
    COOLGOOLS

------------------
    RESISTANCE IS FUTILE...YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!!

[This message has been edited by coolgools (edited 08-01-2001).]

12. charles

charles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Also what has happened to the extended version of dances with wolves?...or zulu,or ben-hur,the ten commandments,..

And what really ****es me off,is that no sooner have you bought a version of a film and they release another super duper version..apparently the terminator2 ultimate edition due on region 2 will be a better picture than the region 1 disc.

Iv`e also got to say that it now seems that the region 2 variants of a film almost always have a better picture than the region 1 edition-maybe less extras-in some cases-and no dts..but a better picture..

So we`re back to the old pal/ntsc laserdisc scenario where you either bought pal for the picture quality-but cut OR the ntsc variant in thx/dolby digital/dte-uncut but inferior picture quality!!!

im becoming fed up....

13. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    he went home

------------------
    Assumption is the mother of all errors

member formerly known as hank hill, then Jesus H
    but got bored so it became some latin sh*t