Where's a nice spot to live in London?

MortimerJazz

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new place to move in to and thought I'd get some suggestions on good areas in London.

From previous experience, I'd say that anything you don't spend on rent will get swallowed up by transport costs so based on the fact, that I'd rather spend the cash on a nicer place somewhere central would be good (zone 1-sih), but I'm open to suggestions:D

Thanks alot for your help - much appreciated

To be honest, I deliberately left budget out as people generally tend to have quite contrasting views of what can be available for a particular price in a particular area.

To give a rough idea though, if I was sharing then I guess about £650 a month. If I'm on my own that that will obviously rise a fair bit which I can live with.

I guess at the moment I'm just trying to get a rough idea of areas that I can do a bit more research into.

Nice place to live in London = outside.

I live in East India, few mins from Canary Wharf. Really nice area. Quick and easy to get to shopping with decent transport links.

13 mins DLR to bank + 8-10 mins to Waterloo
3 mins drive to Canary Wharf
30 mins to Central - DLR + Jubilee or DLR + Central

One bedroom flat going rate is around £250/week.

Around Barbican area is also very nice, but the rent would be a fair bit higher - but would meet with you criterion of being closer to Central London. Personally I would rather catch the plague than go into Central London during normal working hours.

Chelsea:thumbsup:

On a more serious note I know people who live in clapham common and love it, southbank, waterloo or holborn would be nice, but i really dont have a clue how much it would cost.

Its all about cycling in london, its pretty much free and one of the fastest ways to get around.

Outside your preferred area but Hither Green (SE13) is pretty nice. It's quite with a handful of decent parks about 20mins into charring cross, trains every 12 mins or so. We pay £900 a month for a one bed place with a garden, to give you an idea on price. It's in zone 3 so I pay about £30 a week in transport costs.

I lived in Chiswick for a while.It was very nice. Good place to go celebrity spotting too if that is your thing! Bloody expensive part of the world though!

Richmond, zone 4. Nice places can be had for ~£1000/mo (+bills, council tax etc) and zone 1-4 travelcard will only cost you ~£1300/yr.

Richmond, zone 4. Nice places can be had for ~£1000/mo (+bills, council tax etc) and zone 1-4 travelcard will only cost you ~£1300/yr.

I'll second that. Due to its proximity to Chiswick, I spent a lot of time in richmond, sampling the bars and the ladies... Henry's cocktail bar, down by the river...

I would third Richmond only because that is where I would ideally like to live (but more towards Twickenham for me).

Other options include Marleybone and Lancaster Gate. The latter is within walking distance to Oxford Street shopping and bars, Edgeware Road, Hyde Park and Bayswater for food. I used to live in Lancaster Gate and of all the places we have lived in within London, it is the one I enjoyed the most. Its very quiet, very safe and its filled with lots of single people or young couples.

http://local.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&...-0.179729&spn=0.007799,0.021093&t=h&z=16&om=1

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom