1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wherefore art thou twin tuners?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by cerebros, Oct 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Where the hell are all the twin tuner PVR's for Freeview? I can't believe that the only option is the, apparently still very bug ridden, Pace Twin.

I really want to get a Freeview PVR, but I can't see the sense in going single tuner since there's a good chance that when I get a new TV (hopefully in the very near future) it won't have a Freeview tuner built-in, and I certainly don't want to buy a product that has been buggy from day one and doesn't appear to be getting much better from what I read around the place.

I thought Humax and Panasonic were supposed to have twin-tuner models out a couple of months ago, or are these still vapourware?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PAnny TUCTH100 was in the trade list recently...... should be available shortly I hope!!!!!!!!!

3. pr1uk

pr1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your right there the updates keep coming but as soon as one problem is sorted another appears shame really it would have been a nice product if the software was better

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Unless I've completely overlooked something here you seem to have completely forgotten the Digifusion FVRT100. It is a Freeview receiver with twin tuners and hard disk recording. I have one as do two colleagues of mine. regards, yt.

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmm... after having just done a quick search on this one I think I'll wait and see if the Panny comes out anytime soon. Some of the ways the Digifusion apparently operates would drive me mad...

6. remms

remms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is also the thomson one for about £200. Still none with a card slot though

7. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I understand what you say about some of the operational features of the Digifusion. However, as a company they seem very receptive to customer suggestions (I note for instance the operation of the forward/backward skip control has changed recently possibly as a result of customer feedback. I have contacted them and asked if they would like a list of (my) suggested improvements - they said 'yes' they would like to see them. No guarantee of course that anything I might suggest would be implemented but at least they see willing to listen - could you imagine Panasonic behaving like this ? or indeed any of the major manufacturers ? What is it about the Digifusion that might annoy you ? regards, yt.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Things that would probably annoy me are:
    1) Lack of ability to schedule weekly/daily timers. One of the reasons I'm looking for a twin tuner DTV PVR is that the GF is about to start doing some evening work, so naturally she'll want some TV progs recorded, and I'll still be watching TV as well (and since my analogue reception is crap, I need digital to get a watchable picture). It'd be far easier to set a weekly timer than have to set it every week.
    2) That you can't watch a recording until finished
    3) Longevity of the proprietary TV guide - I can't find anything saying whether the Fusion supports the Freeview guide, or that it would be able to should the proprietary one go...

While Fusion may be open to suggestions, there's no guarantee if they're able or willing to implement them (some ideas may be impossible to implement due to the desing of the box). Can I imagine Panasonic doing something like that? Maybe not, but I'd expect them to have devoted more money into getting the feature set of the product right in the first place.

9. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can't argue with your comments. All of your 'points' can be addressed by an OTA download if Digifusion decide to 'go with them' - however as you say they may decide not to. I'm not sure I understand your 3rd point - they are a member of the dtg forum/organisation, so yes they support the freeview epg (which I understand will be extended to 2 weeks some time soon) Freeview is expanding faster than sky, it isn't going to collapse. I'll propose some of your suggestions to them when I send list of suggestions. regards, yt.

10. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry, thought the Fusion used one of the proprietary guides Gemstar/4TV - maybe I mis-read one of the forum threads I was reading about it.

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Don't dismiss the Pace Twin - good timers, can play and record at same time.

Best featured except for twin record.

Most bugs were May 04 and leaving it off on ITV - leave on BBC and it is fine!

12. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Pace Twin was the very first one I did dismiss. When it's getting slated for its bugs and poor reliabilty in non-AV mags and a thread on DigitalSpy (calledPace Twin Problems - Post Here - Part Two) currently runs to 35 pages and nearly 900 posts (most of which seem to be about problems that have been found since June 2004), I think I'll give it a miss.

I'm not saying there aren't lots of posts about problems with other boxes, but the Pace should be a mature, stable product by now considering how long it's been on the market. Instead it still seems to be bedevilled with both software bugs and hardware issues (which seem to point to some flaw in design or manufacture from the posts I've read). I've no wish to buy an inherently unstable product again (I'm still struggling along with a Nokia 221T that I want to relegate for use with the bedroom TV where it'll be used so little I won't be having to yank the power cord out the back nearly every day!)

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I know that thread on Digital Spy and the problems I have found are

May04 software was rubbish

ITV are broadcasting rubbish which confuses the Twins epg if you power off with Tuner 1 on ITV Mux.

Lets just say apart from May 04 mine has been very reliable :thumbsup:

14. Adam Gilchrist

Adam Gilchrist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Pace Twin for 7 months. I can honestly say it's the worst piece of equipment I've ever owned. It never recorded reliably, I had to set the VCR at the same time to cope with its missed recordings. When other people watched recordings on it I had to explain about the pictures freezing and jumping, as it was most annoying.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.