Where would you start if you had to upgrade ?

wardieuk

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am finally getting around to upgrading my system from a 42" plasma tv, KEF eggs, denon 1910 amp.
The question is, in what order would you start to upgrade from the choices below being TV, Speakers and Amp ?
New L,R and centre speakers ? Dali Oberon 5's is my preference
Start with a new 4k TV ? Lg c1 probably but Sony A80J running it close.
A new amp, which I can see will be probably be the last upgrade as I would prefer the other options first.
How would you guys go around upgrading your tv and movie experience. Thanks

My preference would be to upgrade to a 65" or 75" TV first but make sure you get an HDR capable TV rather than an HDR compatible TV as there is a big difference. A larger TV will make the biggest difference to your experience IMO.

Next I would look at upgrading the LCR speakers but depending on what you have now this may have a smaller impact than you might be hoping for.

Like you I think the AVR is last for upgrade however if your existing AVR is not that old, and you aren't looking for new features, then a power amplifier may make more sense and be cheaper.

What is your existing kit?

Last edited:
My preference would be to upgrade to a 65" or 75" TV first but make sure you get an HDR capable TV rather than an HDR compatible TV as there is a big difference. A larger TV will make the biggest difference to your experience IMO.

Next I would look at upgrading the LCR speakers but depending on what you have now this may have a smaller impact than you might be hoping for.

Like you I think the AVR is last for upgrade however if your existing AVR is not that old, and you aren't looking for new features, then an integrated amplifier may make more sense and be cheaper.

What is your existing kit?
I did say 42 inch plasma , denon 1910 amp and Kef 2005 eggs. All around 10 years old now. My living room is 5m x 4m and I did wonder if the speakers will not have the impact I hope for as you stated

I did say 42 inch plasma , denon 1910 amp and Kef 2005 eggs. All around 10 years old now. My living room is 5m x 4m and I did wonder if the speakers will not have the impact I hope for as you stated
Oop's so you did :facepalm:

An AVR upgrade is likely to be required then.

Interesting question to ponder over from the early days of getting started…..
I had a 55inch decent LCD at the time. Went from an all in one HT system to Yamaha AVR and tannoy 5.1 tfx. Next upgraded to Dali zensor 5.1 and didn’t know better at the time so matched that with an E9F sub.
After that replaced Zensor 1 with 3 at the front. Then got the Opticon 5 so moved Zensor 3 to surrounds. Following on from that came the Opticon Vokal. Bought a used pioneer sc-lx73 which was great then upgraded to atmos so another pioneer which was a disappointment compared to the last. Then two more AVR’s, new speakers now more speakers to present day. Have an integrated amp doing hifi and powering left and right for home cinema.

Oh yes, use a projector now which is much bigger than a tv and if you could accommodate one, I’d highly recommend it. Cheaper than a Tv as well in some cases. Mines about 2.8 metres from the wall and puts out something like 100” depending on image format.

I felt like the image needed to have a similar scale to the sound.

Interesting question to ponder over from the early days of getting started…..
I had a 55inch decent LCD at the time. Went from an all in one HT system to Yamaha AVR and tannoy 5.1 tfx. Next upgraded to Dali zensor 5.1 and didn’t know better at the time so matched that with an E9F sub.
After that replaced Zensor 1 with 3 at the front. Then got the Opticon 5 so moved Zensor 3 to surrounds. Following on from that came the Opticon Vokal. Bought a used pioneer sc-lx73 which was great then upgraded to atmos so another pioneer which was a disappointment compared to the last. Then two more AVR’s, new speakers now more speakers to present day. Have an integrated amp doing hifi and powering left and right for home cinema.

Oh yes, use a projector now which is much bigger than a tv and if you could accommodate one, I’d highly recommend it. Cheaper than a Tv as well in some cases. Mines about 2.8 metres from the wall and puts out something like 100” depending on image format.

I felt like the image needed to have a similar scale to the soun

That’s a great point at the end when you say the image needs to be on a similar scale to the sound. Maybe that is what leads me to start with a new tv

It may also give you a better perception of speaker size once the new Tv is in place. I just changed from towers to bookshelf’s but I have some stud walls so that creates some bloat.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom