1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where will we be in...?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Pecker, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Where will we be in a year's time? 5 years? 10 years?

As we've found with mobile 'phones, things can only get so small, then they need to get bigger again, if you want to add features.

The size of our latest mp3 players (Zen Micro, i-pod mini or shuffle, etc, etc) is fine, but if you want to watch films on them, then bigger is better, not smaller.

I would imagine that batteries won't improve much. I have a relative who works in research on battery driven vehicles, and things haven't progressed all that much.

If battery life is to improve it'll have to be with a decrease in the power needed to run the unit, rather than an increase in battery capacity. But a lot of the power drain is down to what is needed to power the 'phones, and they're about at their limit fior efficiency.

Maybe the future isn't in smaller machines (they're small enough), longer lasting batteries, or increased capacity (do we really need more than 60GB?), but in improved sound quality. How about an mp3 player with SACD/DVD-A sound quality? Of course this will probably need improved capacity, but I think the biggest problem would be copy protection.

Thoughts?

Steve W

2. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I reckon players will get smaller, but only slightly. Perhaps larger screens, more models with colour screen, dramatically increased battery life?

Like you suggest, watching movies on the go is certainly a possibility.

It would be nice to see portable devices merged. No longer walk around with a phone AND mp3 player in your pocket, have a phone which incorporates an easy to use hd mp3 player!

3. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would disagree on the battery front. Latest battery technology has only been developed recently relatively speaking, mainly due to the R&D in mobile phones.
    Lithium Ion technology is both light and longlasting and is ideal for mobile applications.
    One of my other hobbies is electric r/c airplanes and it has been known on more than one occasion to strip a laptop battery of it's cells in order to benefit from the technology. Not something contemplated when NiCADs or NiMH batteries where used.

I think the future is with flash type players as opposed to hardrives. Compact flash is available in 4gig cards, no moving parts, low power requirements etc.

Why not wish for a 40 gig flash based player in the same size as a 128mb one now.
    Additionally I would also think implants may have a future. I saw on a gadget programme the use of putting a transducer to your back teeth to make audio heard in the inner ear canal :eek: They would need to call it something other than 'Bluetooth' :D