Where to write, to obtain DTS, DTS-MA, DTS-TrueHD, etc. capability for G1, GX, B1, CX, etc. TVs?

uplink777

Novice Member
Hey there buddies,

I just wanted to ask You, because my last TV that supported these formats was LG B7V [I know that C9 does also], where should I cry my soul loud, in order to get the capability of these codecs to be encodable by these otherwise excellent TVs? I really don't want to go back to Sony [A90J] but I'll be forced to, since tons of the content I own have DTS and it's derived sound tracks, and I'm sick of listening to upmixed "AC3" or "5.1 PCM" sound from my soundbar [Samsung HW-Q950A].

Please advise, and thank You!

With kind regards

uplink

P.S.: An external device for Plex isn't an option for me, due to fact that I have PS5, XSX and jvc xp-ext1, and they all need to be connected in one device in order to receive HDR from Netflix and Amazon Prime correctly and reap the full featureset of HDMi 2.1, VRR, low input lag, etc.

I don't want to passthrough my PS5 nor XSX signal via "another" device :(.

Yoinksy

Banned
I don't think writing a letter will make much of a difference but good on you for wanting to give it a go .

Why don't you want to pass the signal through another device?
I pass through my XBSX and Nvidia Shield via an AV receiver and it works fine.

chenks

Totally pointless

next010

Distinguished Member
DTS is not free and is not used by any major streaming service, that's basically why LG dropped it and are unlikely to bring it back.

I'm confused as to why you say an external media player isn't possible

Your JVC xp-ext1 has 3 HDMI inputs and supports DTS decoding.

Your Samsung soundbar has 2 HDMI inputs and supports DTS decoding.

Given that DTS doesn't exist on streaming services your DTS content must be physical or stored on USB/NAS so why not just get a Nvidia Shield for Plex playback through either of the above and get your DTS that way ?

uplink777

Novice Member
I don't think writing a letter will make much of a difference but good on you for wanting to give it a go .

Why don't you want to pass the signal through another device?
I pass through my XBSX and Nvidia Shield via an AV receiver and it works fine.
Thank You kindly for Your reaction Yoinksy. Ease of control and fear of loss of HDR, VRR and other features. What's a great device please, that can pass through PS5, XSX, host Samsung hw-q950a and jvc xp-ext1 via eARC, has all HDMi 2.1 and use Plex client?

Last edited:

uplink777

Novice Member
DTS is not free and is not used by any major streaming service, that's basically why LG dropped it and are unlikely to bring it back.

I'm confused as to why you say an external media player isn't possible

Your JVC xp-ext1 has 3 HDMI inputs and supports DTS decoding.

Your Samsung soundbar has 2 HDMI inputs and supports DTS decoding.

Given that DTS doesn't exist on streaming services your DTS content must be physical or stored on USB/NAS so why not just get a Nvidia Shield for Plex playback through either of the above and get your DTS that way ?
Thank You very much for Your reply and time next010. I understand all of this well, but I'm also trying to keep VRR and HDR functional. JVC xp-ext1 has only HDMi 2.0b, and Samsung hw-q950a only two HDMi ports, nor JVC xp-ext1, nor Samsung hw-q950a have capability to play Plex or Netflix, I mean when I use Apps on LG WebOS for both Netflix and Plex that's that. Even when I use pass through on TV for HDMi eARC audio, it's simply not pushing DTS further, thus I need another device, that can host everything and is compatibile with Samsung hw-q950a and Jvc xp-ext1 via CEC, will pass through HDR and VRR to TV from PS5 and XSX and is capable of running clients of Plex and Netflix. And that's a tricky one, or not?

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Thank You very much for Your reply and time next010. I understand all of this well, but I'm also trying to keep VRR and HDR functional. JVC xp-ext1 has only HDMi 2.0b, and Samsung hw-q950a only two HDMi ports, nor JVC xp-ext1, nor Samsung hw-q950a have capability to play Plex or Netflix, I mean when I use Apps on LG WebOS for both Netflix and Plex that's that. Even when I use pass through on TV for HDMi eARC audio, it's simply not pushing DTS further, thus I need another device, that can host everything and is compatibile with Samsung hw-q950a and Jvc xp-ext1 via CEC, will pass through HDR and VRR to TV from PS5 and XSX and is capable of running clients of Plex and Netflix. And that's a tricky one, or not?
Media players don't use VRR.

Your Samsung soundbar supports 4K 60hz HDR pass-through and full DTS audio support.

So connecting something like the Nvidia Shield to the Samsung HDMI input is the way to go if you want Plex to play your DTS content. You can optionally use the apps on the Shield for Netflix etc as well.

uplink777

Novice Member
Media players don't use VRR.

Your Samsung soundbar supports 4K 60hz HDR pass-through and full DTS audio support.

So connecting something like the Nvidia Shield to the Samsung HDMI input is the way to go if you want Plex to play your DTS content. You can optionally use the apps on the Shield for Netflix etc as well.
I feel ya next010, though, there's the thing, that I switch my Samsung hw-q950a with JVC xp-ext1 in my TV. This way, I can switch the sound easily [I use HDMi extender cable, that is connected into TV's eARC HDMi, male > female, and I connect either Samsung hw-q950a or JVC xp-ext1 according to my need. I'd do it via HDMi switch, but none worked so far :(.

Anyway, by presenting 3rd party device, like Nvidia Shield, or Dune HD Ultra 4K, I'd completely lose an option to use both Samsung hw-q950a and JVC xp-ext1 [one at a time] with both PS5, XSX and Netflix/Amazon Prime.

Now I have this option, since TV is eARC-ing everything to either Samsung hw-q950a or JVC xp-ext1, while I'm retaining full VRR function for both PS5 and XSX and of course HDR for both PS5, XSX, Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I tried to use XSX, as my multimedia device, but God, that console is awful. It requires an extra payment for DTS, Dolby Atmos [calling it Dolby Connect or something] and has a completely weird color quality when I compare it to LG WebOS TV's Apps. The Netflix logo red is somewhat brownish and pale, the HDR looks awful in NF series and movies :(.

If Sony had VRR, I'd have a solution to my problem, since Sony A90J OLED has everything but VRR, but maybe I'll sacrifice that.

I could always downgrade to Samsung QLED, but I'm really allergic to iPS glow and pale blacks, and of course, the inability to dim or highlight single pixel for perfect HDR. Even mini-LED with 2000 zones won't cut it [I know, coz I have a monitor with 2000+ mini-LED's and HDR still looks glowy, has halos, mainly around subtitles :(].

So my question is, if You'd happen to know such device. Is there a 3rd party device, that can play NF, Amazon Prime, has HDMi 2.1 with full-bandwidth capability [48 gbps ideally] and supports pass through-VRR, HDR, and everything?

My theoretical solution would be, that I'd have this magical device, to which I'd connect Samsung hw-q950a or JVC xp-ext1 [via my extension cable] into eARC of this magical device, PS5, XSX into standard HDMi out which would be HDMi 2.1 capable of passint through VRR to the TV, and this magical device, would support DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-MA, DTS-TrueHD, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Atmos.

Does such device exist?

If not, my best solution is either the TV that I already have, but without DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-MA, DTS-TrueHD, or Sony A90J [which is wow, super effing expensive 😮] without VRR and 120 Hz.

Please advice, thank You!

Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
Just ignore eARC and use the HDMI inputs on the sound systems. Get a HDMI 1 in 2 out device like this (clones video output), that device can pass 4K HDR10, Dolby Vision and DTS audio.
Connect Nvidia Shield to its input
Connect output 1 to Samsung HDMI input
Connect output 2 to JVC HDMI input.

This will send video and audio to both devices, use the Shield for media playback duties and you can switch between either of your sound systems when you need.

HDMI 2.1 is unnecessary for video playback.

uplink777

Novice Member
Just ignore eARC and use the HDMI inputs on the sound systems. Get a HDMI 1 in 2 out device like this (clones video output), that device can pass 4K HDR10, Dolby Vision and DTS audio.
Connect Nvidia Shield to its input
Connect output 1 to Samsung HDMI input
Connect output 2 to JVC HDMI input.

This will send video and audio to both devices, use the Shield for media playback duties and you can switch between either of your sound systems when you need.

HDMI 2.1 is unnecessary for video playback.
I'll order that magic box and I'll try that! It's looking really really good! ❤️

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom