1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to view well setup TV's in London?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by jezscott, Sep 18, 2005.

1. jezscott

jezscott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been to a couple of shops on tottenham court road but the TV's look very poor quality. I need to find somewhere with top quality TV's set up properly and plugged into good sources (DVD & Sky HD) even if its only a couple of models.

The LCD's I've seen have over saturated colours and too contrasty the backgrounds are grainy and there are very strong artifacts around the edges of moving objects (Sony's Panasonics JVC etc....)

The plasmas have a more natural look, perhaps they are just easier to set up.

I had the impression LCD was a similar in quality to plasma and sometimes exceeds it.

2. LazenbyADT

LazenbyADT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :oops: :oops:

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Try Harrods - very good selection including some odd balls you probably have not heard of. Not sure what most are connected to since when I went I had a shortlist of 1 plus another 2 reference displays and my test display was not in the main section. They bought out a DVD player and connected it exactly how I wanted and allowed me to play.

4. jezscott

jezscott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hummm... I'll edit that

5. jezscott

jezscott
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to wait for a weekend for harrods, they only open till 7pm. Selfridges and John Lewis open later, will try them first.

6. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I hope the John Lewis stores in London are better than Bluewater.

We were looking at the Panny TX32LXD500, the Viera 37 PV500 and the Sony KDLV32A12U on Saturday.

First gripe, none of the units with integrated Freeview had an aerial connection so you had no way to judge the PQ of these broadcasts. Instead they were being fed with a split/distributed signal that on the Sony in particular looked absolutely appalling.

Secondly, when we asked for a DVD player to be hooked up to the Sony so we could get an idea of the PQ, it seemed a very technical task that only a single member of staff could manage.

Thirdly, the Sony had the screen ratio set incorrectly. No matter, 1 minute later I'd setup Nevo in my Pocket PC and had corrected the ratio.

Last, they had no actual films to demonstrate the screens with "... it's cos we don't sell 'em" :( . Instead they had some "homebrew" DVD with a couple of dolby digital trailers (Stomp?) which judging by the classification banners were probably NTSC. Most of the disc was so badly scratched that the image skipped every few seconds.

Forget about getting a DVD player with HDMI to hook up and see how good it could look. The only thing they had right was a hi-def feed to the Viera from a hard drive based box of some description showing material on a loop. This was absolutely stunning, not surprisingly my other half preferred the picture on this (and the size) to the others. The picture from DVD also seemed more natural although I'm sure all the screens would benefit from being properly setup and fed decent source material.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    your local Comet may be your best bet. Mine in Slough had 6 sets set up with a HDMI distribution amp, showing a HD promo loop - some sky HD stuff, Hitachi and philips footage - all coming out of a PC. So all the 6 sets got a good feed.

Most also had their remotes handy if you wanted a tweak.

8. freekb

freekb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget JL. Went to JL (Peter Jones) in London and they were feeding it a 1960's movie coming from DVD (or TV) over antenna....
    Try Ask Direct on tottenham court road, they'll be glad to attach a dvd or even the laptop you bring.