1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to view 32PF9986 in London

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by eHuggy, Oct 24, 2004.

1. eHuggy

eHuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am trying to see the Philips hooked up to Sky+ with some decent cables to get an idea of the picture quality I might get at home. Unfortunately, I have struggled to see it anywhere but Comet in my area (Southampton), and they had it on a standard RF aerial shared with about 30 other TVs. :thumbsdow

As I am off up to central London next weekend, I was wondering if anyone can point me at a store that has the new 32PF9986 in a decent set up. I am most interested in seeing it with Sky+ as this will be the main source when I get it home.

Cheers,

ehuggy

2. Hopeful

Hopeful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I work in central London and have looked for this set up many times. Unfortunately the answer is that no retailer will pay a Sky subscription so you are stuck with viewing analogue, freeview or DVD signals.

Try Selfridges or John Lewis on Oxford St if you want to see them but you may still only get a poor RF feed.

3. eHuggy

eHuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will give JL a go in London. To be fair, JL in Southampton do have a Sky setup which they had the Sony on, but they still dont have the 9986 in there :mad: and I wanted to try and compare the two.

4. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Before I purchased the 37" Philips LCD my boss wanted to see the set .
    Nowhere could I find the set on display. Rang Philips and they located one in D@C Satellite in Disley, stockport.

The set was in a display room in isolation. The picture was superb.
    My existing set was a 36" Pixel Plus 1 with a really good picture.
    I had no hesitation in deciding to change. Bought one last week-really pleased.

When we left D&C, we went to John Lewis in Cheadle - the 32" 9986 was on
    display (I paid £2800 for the 37"-they wanted £2995 for the 32")

Their picture was a disgrace
    THE MORAL TO THIS TALE IS YOU CANNOT RELY UPON A DISPLAY IN A
    NON DEDICATED SALES STORE -THE PROFESSIONALISM IN SETTING UP THE EQUIPMENT IS JUST NOT THERE.

NJ

5. MikeGr

MikeGr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't see it in John Lewis Oxford Circus last week when I went there.

Selfridges do have it, but the picture doesn't look good at all. I don't know if the signal strength is poor or if it's just not been set-up properly. The shop staff never seem concerned and try and sell the Sony or Panasonic models instead. I don't know why they insist on downplaying it, considering it is the favourite model around for consumers and industry reviewers. At least they're not still trying to make it show RGB through the DVI socket (which it tells you in the manual not to do).

I think I'm going to take a walk now to Edgware Road and see if there's any stores around there that have it on display. Failing that, I'll check out Dixons Marble Arch and I'll let you know if I have any luck.

6. MikeGr

MikeGr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So...

Edgware Road: There's nowhere at the Marble Arch end any more. I think that a store has it at the Paddington end, past the flyover but it's quite far.

Allders: None to be found

Dixons: None to be found

I suggest you get a bus to Tottenham Court Road where people are bound to have it. If you find anywhere else with it then let me know.

I assume Debenhams or DH Evans have AV departments and could have them. Otherwise, I can't think of anywhere else near to where I work in Baker Street.

If you find one nearby that's not in Selfridges then let me know. I would like to see a properly set-up screen alongside the latest Toshiba, Sony and Panasonic models for a great comparison. If you find someone with the 37pf9986, then that would be excellent to see. I think that for another £800 extra (according to my kelkoo search) the extra outlay should be worthwhile.

7. eHuggy

eHuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike - thanks for doing the walking and checking those out. I will try and get out to Tottenham Court Road at the weekend and see if anyone has it on a decent set up. I will let you know if I do.

Neil - Definitely encouraging to hear that you saw it with a good set up and the picture was awesome, it gives me hope :D I had a quick look at the www.dcsat.com website and they listed their in store price for the 37" as £3500.....how did you get such a good price of £2800? All negotiating tips gratefully received!!

8. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I bought my set from BE Direct-rang on Tueday and they said it would be delivered next day-not convenient-Thursday please -delivered.

I had a dilemma over the warranty
    Their 5 year warranty was £405. Retra the supplierhaving read such good reviews on the forum.
    Warranty Ex ( Domestic & General ) on internet £350.
    I decided to go with

9. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I went with the supplier because of the reviews on this forum