Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Where to start? Budget?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by huntere, Feb 14, 2005.

1. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    People

I'm not going ask "Which DVD do I buy" as I am starting to understand the merits of such a question!

But where do I start to look. What do I consider?

Firstly system wise I have Phillips PW32-9527 TV, Yammy 620 rcvr and Kef eggs. DVD Sky+ etc all linked up with S-Video (best available - I think)

So based on thats system what sort of budget should I set? Am happy to spend whatever but don't want to overspec - no point. Is the old adage a system is only as good as weakest link still valid?

Have had two Yammy DVDs before and while happy with picture/sound (DVD/CD 60%:40%) have had reliability problems - first one played CDs fine but gave up on DVD's, current one (520) sticks and skips.

Reading so I guess max £200? And probably a Pino 575?

Oh and whats progressive scan all about? Is it relevant to me - most references seem to relate to dig inputs to plasmas etc.

Am happy to research alone but a starting point (what to consider) would help.

Thanks

Evan

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The Pio 575 is an excellent machine - now available for under 100 quid. Also, the toshiba Sd340e comes highly recommended (worth doing a search for the 'monster head to head thread, where both are extensively reviewed/compared). Well worth spending some cash on quality interconnects - if your TV has component inputs all the better - if not, then you won't be able to optimise the benefits of Prog scan.

3. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Had read the monster thread with interest! Never a straight answer eh?

Only RGB on TV is via scart - no good I guess?

Also been seeing good things about the Phllips DVP720SA.

Using "medium" interconnects I guess. Not basic but "Nikkai Pure" from Maplins. Seem ok - certainly saw improvement when used but whether better available....... Have quite long runs (5m) so I have to think of £££££.

Thanks again.

Evan

4. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Snick

Just had more detailed glance at the Tosh.

No S-Vid output. Problem? I see reading link somewhere here RGB Scart is about the same quality but this means I can't switch vid signals with Yammy amp. With no video switching (up/down convert) I will have (I think) resort everything to composite which surely will degrade pq?

EVan

5. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Might be worth considering the Limit DVDA900SE - I've just ordered one from Play.com for £100 (was £200) after going through a similar through process to you. From recent comments on these forums, it sounds like a pretty good machine for the money.

Balders.

6. gregmcquaid

gregmcquaid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hey balders i ordered my limit yesterday and i wait in anticipation, do you no how long play's deleivry is?

Greg

7. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Greg,

I ordered mine Sunday evening, and the missus just rang to day it had arrived (Tuesday morning). Great service! :clap:

Balders.