1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to start? Budget?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by huntere, Feb 14, 2005.

1. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    People

I'm not going ask "Which DVD do I buy" as I am starting to understand the merits of such a question!

But where do I start to look. What do I consider?

Firstly system wise I have Phillips PW32-9527 TV, Yammy 620 rcvr and Kef eggs. DVD Sky+ etc all linked up with S-Video (best available - I think)

So based on thats system what sort of budget should I set? Am happy to spend whatever but don't want to overspec - no point. Is the old adage a system is only as good as weakest link still valid?

Have had two Yammy DVDs before and while happy with picture/sound (DVD/CD 60%:40%) have had reliability problems - first one played CDs fine but gave up on DVD's, current one (520) sticks and skips.

Reading so I guess max £200? And probably a Pino 575?

Oh and whats progressive scan all about? Is it relevant to me - most references seem to relate to dig inputs to plasmas etc.

Am happy to research alone but a starting point (what to consider) would help.

Thanks

Evan

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The Pio 575 is an excellent machine - now available for under 100 quid. Also, the toshiba Sd340e comes highly recommended (worth doing a search for the 'monster head to head thread, where both are extensively reviewed/compared). Well worth spending some cash on quality interconnects - if your TV has component inputs all the better - if not, then you won't be able to optimise the benefits of Prog scan.

3. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Had read the monster thread with interest! Never a straight answer eh?

Only RGB on TV is via scart - no good I guess?

Also been seeing good things about the Phllips DVP720SA.

Using "medium" interconnects I guess. Not basic but "Nikkai Pure" from Maplins. Seem ok - certainly saw improvement when used but whether better available....... Have quite long runs (5m) so I have to think of £££££.

Thanks again.

Evan

4. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Snick

Just had more detailed glance at the Tosh.

No S-Vid output. Problem? I see reading link somewhere here RGB Scart is about the same quality but this means I can't switch vid signals with Yammy amp. With no video switching (up/down convert) I will have (I think) resort everything to composite which surely will degrade pq?

EVan

5. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Might be worth considering the Limit DVDA900SE - I've just ordered one from Play.com for £100 (was £200) after going through a similar through process to you. From recent comments on these forums, it sounds like a pretty good machine for the money.

Balders.

6. gregmcquaid

gregmcquaid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hey balders i ordered my limit yesterday and i wait in anticipation, do you no how long play's deleivry is?

Greg

7. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Greg,

I ordered mine Sunday evening, and the missus just rang to day it had arrived (Tuesday morning). Great service! :clap:

Balders.