1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to see a PHD8,436XDE and a PV500 together?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dillz, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well these are my screens of choice, but before making a decision I would like to see all three in the flesh! Anyone know where all three could be seen running together for a direct comparison?

2. Ibizaonice

Ibizaonice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Go for the Panasonic Viera Pv500 no doubt, because of the blacks ! My friend has the 436XDE and PV500 (42) Go for the PV500 it has better blacks ! And the price is good, but my friend don't care because he is RICH ! Will se if I get some pictures :thumbsup:

But the design is better on 436XDE with the speakers, it just looks sooo sexy, but hey so does the Panny so hehe...

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Do AV-sales run these side by side?

4. Blade10

Blade10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The black are at the same niveau. Tired of people who talk about things they do not understand and haven't really seen.

5. Norbert666

Norbert666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Saw all three yesterday in Sevenoaks Sound & Vision.

Opted for the 506XDE in the end which I managed to get for £3,420 including the wall mount :p

6. Dillz

Dillz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My local Sevenoaks only had the 506XDE on display, which I have to say was awesome, especially when they switched over to euro1080, it's over my budget though so would be the 436xde if I went for Pioneer.

As I already have an amp, sky box etc I like the idea of getting the PHD8, but really want to see one in action first, ideally comparing panny and pioneer side by side. I think I'll contact AV-Sales (Unless Alistair is reading this :) )and see if they have these models on display together. Although I live in Gloucestershire, I would happily drive to Kent as it's a pretty major purchase and want to get it right. Would also like to see a PHD 8 with and without a scaler, but that's probably expecting a bit too much ;)

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    No they are not!

Once set up, even basically with just a disc, the blacks on the Pioneer are not as good as the Panasonic.

8. Blade10

Blade10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exact the same. I work in a store with both models, and believe me they are very alike and black is at the same niveau. Some Panasonic people just argue with their believe and not the facts. Get a grip man.

9. Blade10

Blade10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No offense, but these are the pure facts. Futhermore is the Pioneer better at displaying details in shadowarea's and dark night scenes. The Panasonic seems to currupt these details because of the idea of "better contrast - the better picture."
    Check out this German site, they now their Plamas and have compared the two models briefly. Stay tuned for a full review of the Pioneer. Also read their supreme review of the PV500.

10. Blade10

Blade10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Blade10

Blade10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Der Schwarzwert ist nun auf Panasonic-Level (vgl. Test Panasonic TH-42PV500E), die

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry mate, I'm absolutely with Gizlaroc here. I get to sell, install and set up these screens, it's a fact, Panasonics emit less light from their black areas. ie they are blacker. Fact is fact. However, this does not prevent people from preferring whichever they like, so it's simply not constructive to 'promote' one or the other in this foolish way, the guy wants to see them together. If you have nothing to conribute to that, there are plenty of threads debating the black issue. Dillz, fairly sure Alastair will show both screens, and drop me an email if you want to see the PHD8 with and without scaler on your way home, just off J10 M25

13. Blade10

Blade10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough! But try and read the reviews I linked to...

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't read German I'm afraid. Also I have TOTAL mustrust of any review, any journalist, anywhere. In UK they are not far off the scum of the earth in the main. There may be some honest ones, I'd love to find one to trust. My wife deals with them almost every day, never do they print or broadcast anything resembling the truth.

15. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    What is it with Black, that's all I hear, it's got better blacks, black black black black. Is everything measured by blacks?

When I use my plasma for the intention I bought it for I'm looking at the program/dvd showing, not at the bloody black level.

If someone bought a plasma without reading these forums I'm 100% sure everyone of them would be happy with any of the Pio's or pannys available but everyones looking for a line, brightness changes, judder, buzzing, colour banding and bloody black levels.

We've all become perfectionists and spending 2K will no doubt make you want the best but come on, just enjoy what you've bought and stop looking for reasons to justify your purchase over someone elses. I think, IMO, the more someone tries to justify their purchase on these forums by repeated posts about how good their plasma is over another make/model maybe shows that they are insecure with their decision.

16. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well said Peter, you simply have to make a decision based on what's most important to you. I don't actually have a problem with black levels, it's not high up my list of hates.

17. Ibizaonice

Ibizaonice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    What are you talking about ? That post was aimed at me... Well my friend has both. The Pana has indeed better blacks, I have looked at both screen side by side ! We tested both screen with DVD component, DVD HDMI (s97) and Canal + HD (channel in Oslo,Norway) also tested Xbox.. So why do you think i bought the Panna ? My friend and I like the 436XDE better because of the design and maby colors, but Pv500 is better overall ! I can show you picture next time I go to his house

18. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is the most sensible post for a while.

Tbh the more someone tries to justify what is better, the more they lose any credibility they have.

Its all very subjective, some people will prefer one brand to another, others will justifty their purchase.

Just for the record, i have a 506, 37pv500 and a phd8, not side by side mind you, all in seperate rooms, if i could run fast enough i could tell you honestly which is the best :)

Truth is they are all great, if i spent an extra 3k on a scaler i'm sure the phd8 would be better, but to be honest not enough improvement to justify the cost.

At the moment i prefer the 506, maybe cause its bigger, who knows..........

19. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My reply wasn't specifically aimed at you Ibizaonice, it was aimed at the countless number of posts throughout this forum.

You've had the luck of seeing both side by side with different connections and sources and you've made a judgement on that. Most don't have that luxury and base theirs on reading these forums and I think some posts can be detrimental to any decision made and some will deliberately give bad criticism to another model without even seeing it just to justify their own purchase.

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Pete,

I have to totally agreee with you there. You could buy anyone of the screens mentioned above and be really happy with it.

But when someone comes on and says that x screen is just as black as z screen when it is not at all I think you have to point that facct out. Alot of people were saying the 435 was nearly as black as the Panasonics when looking at them in a store, however those same people then said that when they got home and calibrated the thing they realised that the lack of deep blacks then annoyed them.
    For alot of people not having deep blacks really is not an issue, again some people don't mind, or don't even notice a slight buzz whilst it can drive the next person nuts, a faint line on the screen you may never notice but someone else may spot it straight away and never really enjoy the screen again.

I think the more knowledge you can gain before going out to buy your screen is invaluble, and forums like this help people to make the right decision before they get the set home. How many posts do we see on here satrting "I just bought my screen and I am realy not happy with........."? By then it can be too late.

Blade10, I would not comment on the Pioneer if I had not seen it, and spent a good hour trying to get the blacks how I am used to on my HD6, I couldn't. If you read back through my posts you will see that I got as excited as the next person waiting for the 506XDE to arrive, it was going to be my next screen, however it just didn't do it for me! So I stuck with what I know and weent with the newer Panasonic commercial screen, I love everything about the design of the Pioneer and believe me I really wanted one of them hanging on my wall rather than the Panny, but at the end of the day and image that is right for me wins out over looks. I personally would not own a Viera screen either, but I can appreciate that it is a good TV.

Sorry to go on, but please don't tell me that I am talking about something I haven't seen and tell me to get a grip, I know what a good mage is and what a bad image is, they both have good images, but black level and a smooth analogue feel is what I look for in a display and at the moment the Panasonic monitor range is as good as it gets for my needs, still far from perfect, but for now it will have to do as there is no better.

21. Nagundo

Nagundo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The one great benefit of these threads is the contribution from those who work with these bits of kit on a daily basis. Having just ordered my PHD8 it was being able to read these objective and knowlegable posts that really helped make up my mind on what to buy.

Keep it up guys.

22. Ibizaonice

Ibizaonice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Peterm69 I quoted blade10 not you ! he said :

''The black are at the same niveau. Tired of people who talk about things they do not understand and haven't really seen''

23. Dwarfchucker

Dwarfchucker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is some serious "fanboy" attidudes around with the panasonic and pioneer. Its not as bad as the nvidia v ATI debate but up there :devil:

24. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    That is why everyone needs to demo, there are things on a Pio that will annoy some and then things on a Panny that will annoy others, you really can't say which is better for someone else! It is not like ati and Nvidia where everyone knows that ATI is far better really! :devil: ;)

25. Ibizaonice

Ibizaonice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It's Fact's that's what it is !

26. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    So which is better, The Panny or the Pioneer ? :devil:

27. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Pioneer! :)

28. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'm sure to be ordering the Panasonic one soon :D

29. ptg1527

ptg1527
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Both panels were on display alongside each other at Comet in Hull today. Before you snigger they were offering the Pio 436 at £2700 including ped stand and twin speakers with delivery on Wednesday (£200 cheaper than local Sevenoaks Branch ).
    It was noticeable that the the Pio was less bulky than the Panny and they pq was almost identical. The blacks on both were terrific and there was no lag at all on the brief view i had of footy on the Pio.Blues were terrific on the Pio

My minds made up, in a medium sized room and given the 2 hdmi connections plus availabilty it has to be the Pio.

30. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've seen the Panasonic 42PV 500 ( including table top stand ) for as little as £2048.00. The cheapest I've seen the Pioneer 436XDE ( without extras ) is £2397, on many electrical retail sites. Food for thought !!! I've still yet to really decide, but the Panny seems to be the logical choice for me right now.
    :smashin: