Question Where to put the cinema door?

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I need to cut a hole for the cinema door. The door needs to go near the screen, and the screen will be on a baffle wall. The issue (AFAIK) is trying to avoid first reflections.

I'm wondering whether it's best to have the door really close to the screen, and hope to avoid first reflections hitting the listening position with the L&R channels off the wall a foot or two. Or should I move the door back a little?

This is the room before the work:

Cinema dimensions.jpg

The baffle wall and screen will go over the existing windows. I anticipate that being about 16" deep. The existing door will be blocked up, as it's where the rear seats (and therefore riser) go.

What do you think?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I’ve got a panel mounted on my door.

My door is fully sealed when closed, it causes me no issues.

I’d move your door back slightly though to give you a little more flexibility.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I’ve got a panel mounted on my door.

My door is fully sealed when closed, it causes me no issues.

I’d move your door back slightly though to give you a little more flexibility.
Thanks Mark

It looks like some reflections are inevitable, so I'll need to put a panel on it either way. I think I have the choice between having the left speaker reflecting off the door and onto the main listening area, or both the centre and right speaker reflecting (but from a further distance).

Maybe if I get the panel on it right, it won't matter?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Thanks Mark

It looks like some reflections are inevitable, so I'll need to put a panel on it either way. I think I have the choice between having the left speaker reflecting off the door and onto the main listening area, or both the centre and right speaker reflecting (but from a further distance).

Maybe if I get the panel on it right, it won't matter?
Just for the panel direct on to the door mate, that’s all I’ve done.

Try to make your left and right panels line up in parallel identical to each other, even if it means a slight compromise to the overall position.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom