1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to put rears?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Chivalry, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    hullo.. i just bought a set of the eltax bipolars from richers sounds for 50 quid,, and am a little unsure how to position them...
    the room is almost square,, but not big.. only 13x13 or so... and the settee is positioned against the back wall... so i cant get these (or anything else) behind me at all :0(...
    i have a meter and a half to the right wall.. and about 2 meters to my left wall...... so where would be best to put these? in the corners directly to the side on the back wall facing forward.... or edge them round onto the side walls facing toward me?
    iether way they are directly to the left and right of me... just facing differnt directions.... any help appreciated :0)

2. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    tried a piccy.. all went pear shaped when i posted though :0(

3. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a play and see what it sounds like when ever I've moved or had a change around I make two towers of videos stick the rears on those and play the same soundtrack over until I find the best position. I use these speakers too and they sound best just above your seating position on the left and right walls about 3/5ft in from the back wall.

4. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    if they were in that position they would be in front of my seating position?.. although with the way the 2 sides of the speaker would face 1 side would be looking back toward the back wall..the other toward the TV.. my main prob is i cantr get anything behind me.... and if u put them in the corner... either on the side or back walls... 1 side of the speaker will be almost directly facing the wall..... .. :0( woe is me...

5. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    plus i just got back from richer sounds.. managed to bag the last Yamaha NS-c120 centre speaker for a awe inspiring 20 quid!.. lol... the bloke behind the counter didnt seem to pleased when i pulled out a printout of their own web page showin the speaker selling for 19.95... when the shop was asking 79.95,, lol... so the bipolars and the yammy centre all for just 70 quid.... im a happy bunny today... now just to get that velodyne VX10 orderd :0)
    WOOHOO! :clap: :clap: :clap:

6. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahhh.... I see what you mean, well a good trick as it looks as though they will be slightly in front of your seating position is to place them higher up about 2m high 3ft in and raise the level of the rears to compensate. Dontforet that one driver is facing behind and that will bounce the sound off the rear wall creating a larger rear sound field. Think or it as creating a circle of sound around each or the rear speakers as opposed to an exact point. It does work weel and these speakers rock. I've just brought another pair as I've upgraded to 7.1

7. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    so,, u say i should put them on the left and right walls.. about 2 meters up and about 2 feet or so in from the back wall..? that right?

8. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, give it a go. It should work well, just have a play with the position and when you find the best one drill a hole and put the speakers up!!!!

9. Chivalry

Chivalry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    one more thing.. do u find a specific film? or scene? is good for setting up rears?.. like the lobby scene in matrix or sumthin?.
    thnx ;o)

10. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matrix scence is good. The opening to saving private ryan. Thx traliers, opening scences in gladiator, door scence monsters Inc. opening toy story 2 and any action scene from starship troopers mainly the scence in the bunker on klandathu, as a few to suggest.