where to put aerial amplifier

jon_mendel

Novice Member
Got an aerial amplifier to split the signal (once inside my flat) 3 ways. It had to be one of these indoor ones. Does it make any difference where I put it - i.e. should it be as close as possible to wheren the aerial wire comes into the flat, or can I just place it where it fits best :D

ROYOLD

Novice Member
Close to where the aerial co-ax cable enters the property. Note that a three way splitter will only give one third of the total signal on each outlet. For MAXIMUM signal you should use just a ONE OUTLET amplifier which gives maximum signal output. Daisy chain the aerial between successive devices.

aekostas

ROYOLD said:
Close to where the aerial co-ax cable enters the property. Note that a three way splitter will only give one third of the total signal on each outlet. For MAXIMUM signal you should use just a ONE OUTLET amplifier which gives maximum signal output. Daisy chain the aerial between successive devices.
Interesting. Doesn't daisy-chain lose signal strength? And will a powered splitter give more that 1/3rd of total per exit?

jon_mendel

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice. Will move it closer to the aerial output when I get another cable :D

I do need a 3-way splitter (i need the 3 output) - yeah, would have got a 1-way otherwise.

I've using a 1-for-all powered splitter that claims a 20db boost to the signal. The signal it outputs (through each of its 3 outputs) is a little stronger than what goes in and (at least for use with a freeview box) it doesn't seem to degrade the signal quality/add noise.

ROYOLD

Novice Member
aekostas said:
Interesting. Doesn't daisy-chain lose signal strength? And will a powered splitter give more that 1/3rd of total per exit?
Taking the Maxview TV booster the gain is nominally 12.5 db on the one outlet model. On the two outlet model the gain is 6.5 db on each of the two outlets.

Sure daisy chaining indefinitely will lose the signal but some devices actually give a small amplification. No situation will be the same evidently - you just have to try by trial and error method.

aekostas

ROYOLD said:
Taking the Maxview TV booster the gain is nominally 12.5 db on the one outlet model. On the two outlet model the gain is 6.5 db on each of the two outlets.

Sure daisy chaining indefinitely will lose the signal but some devices actually give a small amplification. No situation will be the same evidently - you just have to try by trial and error method.
OK, I have an interesting (to me at least :thumbsup: ) factoid: I use a powered 1->6 antenna splitter and connect my iPlayer+ freeview box from it.

Film4 says 53% strength.

I take the aerial cable off the splitter and connect the antenna directly on the Freeview box.

Film4 says 26% strength. And is completely unviewable.

:confused:

nwgarratt

I got a high gain loft aerial. I currently use screened coaxial and going into a Inverto PVR and then daisy chained through a Thompson DHD 4000. The signal on one tuner in the Tommy actually shot up from the usual 6 or 7 out of 10 to 10 out of 10. Then 20 minutes later it went back down to 7. All four tuners have 6 or 7 out of 10 for strength and 8 out of 10 for quality. I get the same number with just one PVR attached to the aerial.

I am not using any amplifier or boosters.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom