Where to position 5.1 speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by gimpymoo, Jan 24, 2008.

1. gimpymoo

gimpymoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am soon to be connecting some Logitech Z5500's to my PC.

I am a little green when it comes to surround audio so despite my swatting am still a little confused as to where the speakers should be placed.

Find below a layout of the room.

[​IMG]

The room size is roughly 14ft x 9ft.

The black thing in the centre is intended to be a desk with a Monitor (22" TFT if that makes any difference = May be upgraded)

My initial plan was to mount the speakers on the wall with the centre speaker sat underneath the TFT and the front left and right to be placed on the wall likely at positions number 2 and have the rear speakers mounted on the wall represented by the pink boxes. Am I likely spacing them too far apart to get the required effect in games?

Looking around forums and the net, it appears I have misunderstood as most people tend to position the rear speakers to the side of them?

Also, it is a victorian house with high ceilings, am I best placing the speakers near the ceiling or half way down the wall?

Please can someone help me place these speakers to get optimum quality as these are the best speakers I personally have owned so want to get the most out of them.

The primary uses will gaming when sat at the desk and listening to music when not sat at the desk and maybe the odd film but will happily sacrifice movie audio for better game/music quality.

Without confusing the issue, would a 7.1 speaker set be best suited to a room that size? If so, where would they be placed. Would prefer the Z5500's as I have not saw a 7.1 PC set I like but if 7.1 would be better in these circumstances, I would consider it.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Gimp.

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Your setup is fine and should sound great the way you are planning on doing it. It shouldnt really matter sound wise wether you place the surround speakers up nr the roof or midway down the wall, if there up nr the roof simply angle them down to point at the listening area. The centre speaker is perfectly placed were you mentioned. Just set the channel levels so the sound appears equal from all speakers. As for 7.1 I think the room is to small for this, you woulnt really benefit much from it.:thumbsup:

3. paulst10

paulst10
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,249
    Moved to Room Acoustics, Audio & Video :smashin: