1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to place surround speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by yoyogam, Jul 12, 2005.

1. yoyogam

yoyogam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am about to install my first home cinema system :eek: and hope that someone can help me with advise about positioning the speakers.

I just bought a MS Genie set. My living room is not big and is L-shape (main part of the room is 3m x 4.5m) with the TV at the corner like this:

LLLL
    LLLL
    LLLLLL
    LSLLLL
    SLLLLL
    SLLLTV

‘TV’ indicate where the TV is and ‘S’ mean where people seat (I can not reverse the living room because of glasses throughout the whole right side.

My question is where to place the surround speakers. Should it be simply at the back wall (long one)? I want all 3 seats to enjoy the sound.

Thanks for your help

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    L shape rooms give particular problems with speaker placement. If you look at the doby website it gives the 'ideal' angle of each speaker from the main listening possition looking directly at the TV. http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

ie if you are looking directly at the TV the RS should be 90-110 degrees off to your right.

The best thing to do is to use the above as a starting possition and then move them about until they sound best to you. Unfortuantly room acoustics are effected by too many variables to give a 1 minute idiots guide