Where to place centre speaker

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by danmc_82, Jan 21, 2008.

1. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    I'll soon be purchasing a MA RSLCR for my system. Im about to put my lcd on the chimney breast but not sure where I can put my centre. Im having a coal fire at bottom of chimney so im not able to have it on the floor in front of it.

2. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'd leave the centre out from the system, rather than have it way up high or placed very much off-centre.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,196
    Does the fireplace have a mantle, and is the mantle big enough to hold the center, or could there be some other way of mounting it to the mantle?

Depending on how big the fireplace is, while it wouldn't be ideal, you could put it on the floor standing vertically next to the fireplace. Again, not ideal but reasonably in the correct sound field position.

Regardless of what you do, it is going to be a compromise.

Steve/bluewizard

4. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    Would my centre channels be run through the main front speakers? If so how?

Mantle place is not been put in yet so thats an idea. How about if I have it flush with the wall? Id have to protect the back of the speaker though.

5. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    :hiya:

6. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I had a similar problem and did a blind test (3 listeners) to see how much they noticed the placement being moved around. The end result is that I'm perfectly happy having my centre sitting vertically on the floor just to the side of my monitor (it couldn't go above or below). You might well find that vertically just to the side of the fireplace will work fine.

Much much more important though was how well the front sound stage blended together. A great match between centre and main front speakers will "hide" any placement discrepancies quite well. I would guess that the better the quality of the speaker system, the less it will matter.

If you get a chance, try it out in a demo room - ask them to move the centre to the side a little and see if you are still totally wrapped up in the experience or if it distracts you.

7. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    How far off centre was the speaker would you say? I was thinking of getting a flat panel centre to hand on the wall below the tv. But I realise that it wouldnt be consistant with the front speakers.

8. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    That would depend on many things: dimensions / acoustics of room, the nature of the speaker system you have, etc. There will be limits - the centre can be handling the vast majority of sound at times. It will help if your multichannel amp has effective capabilities for speaker output adjustment. Some are better than others.

You will just have to try it out in your room. Sometimes, an unlikely arrangement works well, due to the acoustics.

The front speaker arrangement does not have to be of the same make. It usually helps, of course, because the manufacturer will use similar (or even identical) components across the front & centre speakers. This makes the choice an easy one.

However, I have a pair of Castle Conway fronts matched with a Paradigm centre that works really well indeed. Going for a different centre to your fronts does mean you will have to listen to them together so that you like the matching (your ears, not anyone else's). You should not be able to detect any tonal change as a sound moves from left to right, and you will need to check this with a range of sounds (female voice, male voice, etc.). So going for different manufacturers takes more work but can be totally rewarding.

9. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    What about if I used ceiling speakers to act as the centre?

10. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    That might just be plain weird. The idea of the centre speaker is that it projects sound from pretty much the direction of the screen, or at least directly between the fronts (and close to the screen). An off-axis ceiling speaker is adding another dimension of divergence from centre.

11. danmc_82

danmc_82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,212
    What if I have them facing towards me from the chimney breast but obviously flush to the wall. Or had I just insert the centre into the wall. The chimney breast is to wide to have the centre on either side so that isnt really an option.

12. captainpacific

captainpacific

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    You might just have to try out a few reasonable options that are closest to the ideal of having a unified front sound stage. Factors such as room acoustics might let you get away with some variation - you won't know until you try it.

Just remember the main principles: the sound of the guy talking on the TV should sound like it's coming from his mouth. The movement of sound between left and right should be smooth and not change in character as it does so. Stereo effects should sound coherent and not detached.

If you achieve these main goals then it is working for you.

13. august

august
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder is it possible to place the centre speaker on top of a plama tv model panny viera 42 pz 70?:confused:

14. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Do you mean to place the centre speaker physically on the top of the screen? Sounds a bit precarious! :eek:

I presume you mean, say, placed on the wall above the screen? I think that should be fine, although personally I find it visually distracting and would prefer to raise the screen and place a slim speaker (e.g. Monitor Audio Radius) underneath ...