1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to now, upgrade advice appreciated

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 337GUS, Nov 29, 2003.

1. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi

I would be grateful for any advice or comments on the best way to improve my music/movie system.

Over the past year I have gone through a number of upgrades to both my AV and HiFi systems, after a few years without much change, eventually ending up with both systems connected together.

Currently I have Michell Gyrodec SE / Musical Fidelity 308 CD / Pre / Power, Monitor Audio GR20 front, GR centre, GRfx side and Sfx rear speakers, the sub is an old Rel Strata II. An Arcam DV88P and Pioneer 2011 handle the movies with the 2011 pre outs allowing the 308 power amp to drive the fronts at all times.

I am happy with the HiFi but want to improve the AV. Recent dems have left me with a tentative plan to move the GR20’s to the rear and replace the front speakers with the likes of Martin Logan Clarity fronts and a Cinema I centre or the new Monitor Audio reference range.

Now to the question – where do I go from here? I would like to replace the DV88P and 2011. I just want the best DTS or DD 7.1 sound, not really interested in PL2x, DSP modes, Trifield or Logic 7. The only source is DVD (99% region 1). Component from DVD straight to PJ (upgrading to Sanyo Z2 or Epson TW200) so no video switching needed.

Budget is around £1-2K plus what I get from selling my Musical Fidelity 3.2 CD / Pre / Power, Arcam A85 and DV88P.

Items under consideration are:

Rotel RSP-1098
    Meridian 568.2 used
    Lexicon MC1 used
    Pioneer/Yamaha/Denon mega amp

Rotel RMB-1075 / 1095
    Parasound A52

Rotel RDV-1060
    Pioneer 868AVi

Items not under consideration:

Tag
    Arcam
    Lexicon MC8
    Linn 5103
    Naim AV2
    Cyrus AV5 / 8

Any advice on the above and any suggestions of alternative approaches or equipment recommendations appreciated. Music 60% / Movies 40%.

Thanks for any comments

Gus