1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to go?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mrapbp, Aug 29, 2005.

1. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Guys,

A little advice please!!

I have had a HK DV25 for the last 2.5 - 3 years and have been very happy with it. An all round great player I think!

Have been thinking that things must have moved on enough to warrant an upgrade by now so:

Is that the case? Is it worth spending a lot for not much gain? (willl there be much??)

I have been looking at the various Denon and Arcams as they both seem pretty safe. Is that the case and what should I be looking at in the sea of numbers!?!? (2900, 3910, DV78, DV79, DV88 etcetc!!). Also there always seems to be plenty on the forums for sale and that would be my preference!!

I am running a pretty simple setup. 50" plasma (probably no HD connectivity) and run it into a Pioneer 2011 amp so really all I want is the best picture and sound possible via component (if that is better than Scart) and optical for the sound.

Any advice greatfully received!!

Cheers!

2. Drew2

Drew2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You can get players that give you HD upscale through component, that would make a big difference to your plasma! :D

Search around the forum and you'll get plenty info about them. :smashin:

I am just about to write a new post about custom dvi settings that one of these players has, unfortunately the component settings are pre-set but still well good!

Don't spend lots of money just now as you've only 6-8 months to go before the next generation machines become available. I would limit your budget to say 200 quid. ;)

Good luck :)

3. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thanks for the advice!

Can anyone tell me if something like the Toshiba SD-900e would be an improvement over my HK DV25?

Cheers!

4. csukasem

csukasem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I don't mean to twist the discussion direction....

To upgrade HT, in my experience, first, Center Speaker. Then, Subwoofer,.... (Room Setting is a must if you have time.)

Or else, I would propose considering power amp. This means that starting to go for separates(brand new or used ones). I had experienced several receivers and eventually I ended with separates. The money I spent changing from one to another receiver was a lot.

5. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Not sure I follow??

What has this to do with me changing my DVD player?

6. csukasem

csukasem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I supposed that your intention to change DVD player is an upgrading your HT. It is known that there has been great change in DVD technology lately which might make it unwise to invest on DVD player now. Also the year is ending and the new models are coming. If you are still stick to change in DVD player I would suggest that you consider used ones.

But if your concept is as broad as upgrading HT, consider my last post. (I assumed that you were using a receiver.)

Sorry, I did not mean to confuse you.

BTW, I am using Denon A11(5900) and very happy with it.

Sukasem