1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to go from NEC HT1000?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mrapbp, Jan 3, 2005.

1. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Having just sold my NEC (dont ask em why!!) I am now left wondering where to go from here?

Have just seen a specials page with the following PJ's:

Sharp XV-Z200E

Sharp XV-Z9000

Anyone have any comments on either of these machines? Would they be a suitable upgrade for me?

Any other reasonable upgrade routes for me to take (dont want to spend over £2.5k and would look at second hand etc).

Cheers all!

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    In my opinion you should have kept the HT1000 and saved up for a Optoma H77!

That is the only thing I would change to right now. But luckily even my stupidity can't stretch to that move right now.

Cheers
    Marc

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    There's not much out there that is a huge leap beyond the HT1000 right now, especialy in the price range you mention. New stuff will be announced at CES in January, and that will drive down existing models when they're released in June/July, so you might want to sit tight to pick up a good second hand bargain or something new that's priced well.

An NEC HD2+ equivalent of the HT1100 would be something to buy if it should ever emerge. :)

Gary.

4. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Well it looks like knackered myself up a bit!!

Will have to hope something decent comes up in the classified section!!

5. junkster443

junkster443

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ínfocus 7205 would be a good option for you...

or the marantz vs3

both supervb pjs

6. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Any more advice from someone not in the NEC brigade? ;)

7. SuperSportBilly

SuperSportBilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    The Mitsubishi HC900 got a good review at Cine4home.de. Colour calibrated contrast of around 2000:1 (compare that with calibrated contrast of other tested projectors on their website).

The Optoma H57 might be worth a look too if you don`t want to stretch to the H77.

At the moment the improvement you get for the extra outlay does not seem to be justified. The HC900 or H57 might be a decent stop gap until high definition is the way to go with a projector at that resolution.

I recently saw a 4805, 5700 and a H77. The 5700 was the dimmest but the bulb was going. The H77 produced a nice image - more detail - but not necessarily more punchy than the 4805 (rather suprisingly).

I also saw the Sony HS50 and I was not impressed - not sure if it was the set up - but not very bright and not that much contrast - good detail though.

I don`t know what to do as an upgrade for my Sanyo Z1.

What about the Sharp XV12000 - that also got a sparkling review at Cine4home.de. Very high contrast once calibrated.

Some rambling thoughts for you !

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I'm getting 2000:1 calibrated CR from my HT1000 right now (with Hoya filter), so another xga or matterhorn chip pj will only be a sideways move IMHO.

Sim2 make some lovely projectors, and their colours and processing are superior to the NEC, so they could be worth a look. The Domino 18 and 20 could be in your price range.

Gary.

9. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hey Gary,

If you are going to the Bristol show next month, do you fancy hooking up and calibrating my HT1000 for me :) :) :)

Will buy you some beer or something?? :beer:

Cap :smashin:

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    Very tempting I must say, and thanks for the offer, but I won't be going to the show unfortunatley.

It's possible that I could give you some settings that would work with the Hoya FL-Day filter so that you'd get something like I was seeing on mine, but your DVD player is different to mine, so there's a good chance the colours won't be quite right.

I'm thinking of putting up a little web page with some basic calibration tips that I've learnt from various people like RTFM and Gordon F, and this could give some people an idea how to use the test patterns from Avia to set white and black levels and see what the grey ramps etc should look like.

Avia works for NTSC and Video Esentials is for PAL, but I haven't really looked at VE or navigated my way through it enough to be able to use it yet. I use a PC as my DVD player so Avia is fine to set that up, but maybe I'll just do a page on that and see what people think.

Unless of course someone has a link to a site that already covers that?

Gary.