Where to go after the Panny FZ7?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Bales1983, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Bales1983

Bales1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I Love photography, the fact i can grab a split second of time and freeze it forever is just magical in this fast moving world!

I curently have the Panny FZ7 for about a year. Now i want to move up again, (probably during the january sales) I have about £1000 tops but dont need to go that high if i can get similar for £500, Id like an auto feature (currently use the 'P' setting mostly on the panny) due to the fact im still learning with manual apeture and shutter settings, would also like a good lens range, a macro and a 18-55, 70-300 etc,

Any recommendations??

Maybe a canon 400d or a Nikon D80??

Thanks for any advice

Lee

2. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

i went from a panasonic FZ20 to a nikon D50,and a great upgrade it was, so i guess i'm more in favour of nikon, if i had £1000 to spend now, i would go for the nikon D80 with the 18-70mm len's which i,ve seen for £675 from camerapricebuster,and the new nikon AF-S 70-300mm vr lens also from camerapricebuster for £331. :smashin:

3. lmaolmao

lmaolmao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    i just got a d80 with 18-135mm kit for £665 delivered.

really, really, really, chuffed with it.

waiting for the battery to charge was a pain though!

not sure if im allowed to post them, but there are some 10% off currys codes, and a code for free delivery going round. used them and brought it down to £665, which i couldnt resist!

recommend it whole heartedly.

4. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    i think it's ok to post code's here, if it's not one of the mod's will remove.

5. Bales1983

Bales1983

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strangely i was leaning towards the 400D but people say otherwise here?

Just looked at the Panny FZ50, now what can the 400d/D80 do that the panny can't?? What i need of it anyway?

Obviously the lenses are non changeable, but what else?? is the noise still bad at high iso's on the panny?

Lee

6. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Ahoy there!

I too moved from a Pana FZ3 and bought into an Olympus E500 2 lens kit. I still have the FZ3 by the way.

Firstly, if you're still using the 'P' mode, then IMHO you're not ready for a dSLR just yet. Why? You're still using your FZ7 as a point and shoot camera. You need to learn the basics of the modes and understand what they do when you make adjustments.

Secondly, the FZ7 has live view so that you can see the changes when you adjust shutter speed and aperture (if selected) in M, A or S modes. Some dSLR's don't even have this option (even though they can cost the earth), so you need to know what you are doing and the results of your adjustments in terms of shutter speed, aperture and depth of field.

Conclusion. If you don't know what you're doing when you have live view, then a dSLR without it may prove a step to far unless you have learned the functions of the settings and how what you do affects the photo you are taking. Also, most dSLR's don't have image stabilisation like the FZ7 . . another learning curve regarding shutter speed here.

That said, if you have the money to invest in a dSLR, look at the Sony Alpha A100 (I'm not recommending, just suggesting). Konica Minolta lenses fit this system (see link), so there should be a whole bunch to choose from.

Just my 2 doubloons worth.

7. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    i tend to disagree, i think whatever camera you buy you will learn to use well, be it dslr or bridge camera, yes a dslr is more in dept, but the way i see it is why learn with another camera and then move up to a dslr,you already said you love photography so clearly it's not going to be a fad or passing phase and you will want to move up the ladder more likely sooner rather than later,the only decision you have to make is which dslr, yes you could go for a bridge camera like the FZ50, but the difference in the speed alone compared to a dslr is massive, the best thing you could do for starters is go to a local dealer and get the feel for the different model's in your hand, what is going to be more comfortable to use the canon or nikon, or whatever other model's you may try out, good luck :smashin:

8. Puli

Puli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Totally agree. You can read all the reviews on any camera but Until you get it in your hand your don't going to know which "feels" better.

I went for the D80 after trying it and the 400D. It just felt better in my hand, and have not looked back.

The D40 or D50 could also be an idea, but do handle them 1st..;)

Paul

9. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    As the saying goes, try before you buy, but you need to know what to try! Once you've tried, then research the web for a better price than the high street.