Where to get posters signed?

NattyE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently picked up The Lord of the Rings signed posters in the classifieds section, and I am now hoping to get the two Hobbit film posters signed too. I was just wondering, how would I go about getting them signed?

Cheers in advance.

Collectormania or Memorabilia shows are the only viable option really, I'd never buy anything online even if they come with the magic certs which aren't even worth the paper they're written on in 99% of cases. Get stuff signed in person it's the only way to be sure. From the early days of Ebay to the present sellers have flooded the market with bogus Autos claiming it's real just because it has a cert of authenticity :laugh:

COLLECTORMANIA

Not saying yours aren't official Natty, Did the seller send pics of them being signed or give dates and places where they were done?

Your best bet is to go the The Hobbit premier in London. (I'll be doing this with The Expendables 2)

The shows mentioned above are good but I don't think you'll find any of the 'main' guests appearing for a while

Collectormania or Memorabilia shows are the only viable option really, I'd never buy anything online even if they come with the magic certs which aren't even worth the paper they're written on in 99% of cases. Get stuff signed in person it's the only way to be sure. From the early days of Ebay to the present sellers have flooded the market with bogus Autos claiming it's real just because it has a cert of authenticity :laugh:

COLLECTORMANIA

Not saying yours aren't official Natty, Did the seller send pics of them being signed or give dates and places where they were done?

To be honest, they had been up since the beginning of the summer and I kept wondering why noone had bought them. They come with the certificates of authenticity but I know they don't really mean much. Plus they were from an eBay company which is no longer going. I just thought they looked really cool. They are signed, not printed. Plus the pens that have been used are different colours. I know it doesn't count for much but meh. I'm happy with them :) There aren't any pictures of them being signed sadly.

Your best bet is to go the The Hobbit premier in London. (I'll be doing this with The Expendables 2)

The shows mentioned above are good but I don't think you'll find any of the 'main' guests appearing for a while

If I go to the premier (I've never been to one in London) then it would be a bit difficult to get a huge poster signed without it getting damaged wouldn't it?

If I go to the premier (I've never been to one in London) then it would be a bit difficult to get a huge poster signed without it getting damaged wouldn't it?

If you do a première you got 2 options:

1) get there early to ensure front row, and attach your poster to the poster board advertising the film.

2) you can get a poster signed while it's rolled up to minimise damage, it involves rolling the poster up inside out, and holding it out at a distance - it works but not as good a method 1.

Or do the convention circuit as mentioned above, and keep an eye on the theatres as well (your bigger names are more likely to do theatre that a convention) e.g. Cate Blanchett is due to do theatre shortly:D

Baz:)

Last edited:
If you do a première you got 2 options:

1) get there early to ensure front row, and attach your poster to the poster board advertising the film.

2) you can get a poster signed while it's rolled up to minimise damage, it involves rolling the poster up inside out, and holding it out at a distance - it works but not as good a method 1.

Or do the convention circuit as mentioned above, and keep an eye on the theatres as well (your bigger names are more likely to do theatre that a convention) e.g. Cate Blanchett is due to do theatre shortly:D

Baz:)

It's just a shame as I live in Plymouth, so getting to any events is likely to cost me a huge whack anyways. Plus accommodation. How early is early then? Like the day before and camp? Haha, would save on accommodation I suppose.

I know lots of collectors who travel down to London for premières, including some from Portsmouth! It does cost a fair amount, and you could come away with nothing. As for getting there early, camping out is not really required unless it's something like Potter or Twilight!

I'd say that 12 noon is usually a good time to claim a decent spot. When I do prems as we call them, I aim for about 3 pm.

Be aware, just because you go to a première, it doesn't mean you'll get everyone especially with a very big cast, like the Expendables. At the last premiere I only came away with 2 of the cast that attended!

Baz

Yer well this is the problem. It's The Hobbit that I am wanting to get signed and I'd really like the whole cast to sign it. I think my best bet is probably eBay :(

EDIT: I reckon it would probably be as busy as Potter or Twilight

The Hobbit will probably not be as bad as Twilight or Potter, it's mainly young girls that camp out overnight, for the latest teen heartthrob, and there is no one in that cast I'd assume to be in that category!

You can get almost the entire cast apart from Lilly and Wood at theatre, as they all pop up now and again for example Barry Humpfries is doing panto at the moment at Wimbeldon Theatre, and Cate Blanchett is doing theatre in the new year, a lot of the minor cast turn up from time to time at the National. I can't see it being that hard, just time consuming and you'd know it's legitimate. This is the easier way to collect autographs, and you actually get to meet the person and get better signatures.

Baz

The Hobbit will probably not be as bad as Twilight or Potter, it's mainly young girls that camp out overnight, for the latest teen heartthrob, and there is no one in that cast I'd assume to be in that category!

You can get almost the entire cast apart from Lilly and Wood at theatre, as they all pop up now and again for example Barry Humpfries is doing panto at the moment at Wimbeldon Theatre, and Cate Blanchett is doing theatre in the new year, a lot of the minor cast turn up from time to time at the National. I can't see it being that hard, just time consuming and you'd know it's legitimate. This is the easier way to collect autographs, and you actually get to meet the person and get better signatures.

Baz

That's very true. It would just be expensive! I really appreciate all this help by the way :) Maybe I should go and live in London for a year :p

So in terms of getting actors to sign it at theatres, do I just wait outside? Or do I go see the play? Sorry for all the questions, I'm really new to all of this haha.

That's fine, I don't mind, everyone starts somewhere. I'm a bit of a seasoned collector, been collecting autographs in London, Paris and New York for the last 6 years, and believe that theatre is always the best way to collect.

I know people that live outside London, that combine going to conventions with doing theatres. You go to the convention to get your tickets, then leave do a theatre or two going in, then go back to the convention, get who you want there, and hit a few more theatres afterwards. It works out better this way, and you save a bit of cash!

As for the theatre, you can either go to the stage door, before or after the performance they usually arrive about an hour or two before the start. You don't really have to watch the play, it's a personal choice.

Baz

Last edited:
Baz,

Any tips for getting posters signed at London premieres? Looking at a few 'big' premieres like The Dark Knight Rises and a few smaller ones this year in the West End.

i.e. what time to get there for both types of premiere, best place to stand, basically any advice gratefully received! Also, do guests just tend to sign something related to the movie they are attending or would someone like Liam Neeson sign a Phantom Menace poster if he's attending the Battleship premiere?

Thanks
J

J,

I really need to point out a few things, firstly it isn't that easy to get the entire cast at a premiere. Not that I want to put anyone off, it's normally a good day out, but don't expect to get everything signed or everyone to sign your poster. It took me 5 years to get my Pirates poster finished. I've almost finished my Dark Knight Rises (just need Bale), and Skyfall (need Craig, wouldn't sign on set as in costume) pieces already!

Having said that, get there as early as you want they don't tend to have the barriers set up till at least 12 - 1pm, and the spot in front of the entrance always fills up first (do not stand there), you need to be at drop off, or before press on either side.

It really depends on the guest, when I did 'One Day' for Anne Hathaway she refused to sign Dark Knight, but relented when she realized that everyone only had Dark Knight, and she'd look bad for not doing it. I met her again yesterday and he refused me one on one. Good luck with Liam Neeson, even I haven't got him and I've seen him 50 times.

Baz

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom